 Star Wars / 17732
Re: Alternate 6208 B-Wing Escort Fighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:46:24 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Jim DeVona wrote:
   The other night I built an alternate ship using the pieces from my new B-Wing kit.

What do you think?

I like the ship, and especially that you’ve done it up in LDraw on the Mac. Cool. I’ll have to leave any other comments to the starwars and building experts though.

What I really like about that particular cad picture is the way it highlights the fix for a problem that’s been bugging me about some of the parts for a while. I hope you don’t mind if I hijack a fork off of your post to talk about it a bit.

If you look at the picture you can see some of the convex curved slopes have a bit of a tiger striping pattern when shaded. But there’s also an upside down dark gray convex curved slope part that doesn’t have the problem. The good part uses a fan design to lay out the triangles so they all meet at one point where the convex curve flattens out. The bad design uses a zig zag pattern of triangles with lots of extra points along a straight edge. It looks bad and uses extra points. Double plus bad! Part designers, take note. Actually, I could swear there already was, once upon a time, a mention in some part design guide somewhere about not adding extra points along a straight edge.

Anyhow, have fun,

Don