 CAD / Development / 10543
Re: Alternate 6208 B-Wing Escort Fighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:51:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   I have to wonder if I’m partially to blame. Perhaps the part author was using LDView (thumbnail is linked to bigger image, generated by LDView):

Everything looks great there.

Yeah, your default settings tend to hide certain surface flaws. Your light source (where is it by the way?) and smooth shading are as effective as dim lighting and heavy makeup. Perhaps not the best thing for a parts designer to be using. But if you zoom in for a closer look, even in ldview you can still see the bumpy waffled surface when you spin those parts around. And even smooth shading doesn’t completely hide the wrinkles close up.

My light is a directional light pointing in exactly the same direction as the camera. In LDView 3.1, you can actually override this with an undocumented command line option. I hope to have light direction (single directional light) as a new feature in LDView 3.2. Some future LDView might support more arbitrary lighting (including multiple light sources).

   I wonder if there’s a way to get ldview to use a different set of preferences when the user is obviously looking at a part?

I could probably do that, but the smooth shading is actually useful when editing a part, because it can highlight missing (or incorrect) conditional lines. It’s not fool-proof, since correct conditional lines don’t necessarily result in smooth shading. On the other hand, I suspect that most part authors that use LDView for inspection of their parts would prefer to have the smooth surfaces look good in LDView.

--Travis