 Star Wars / 12680
Re: Empire's Age?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 06:13:32 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Leonard Hoffman writes:
Look at it this way (yes yes, real life to sci-fiction
comparison), lets say the United States is the Old Republic.  None of the
states can leave because there are laws in place preventing them to do so.

I'm sorry, but the reason why no state can leave is because the Union will send
an army in and occupy them. (reference THE CIVIL WAR, 1861-1865)  Unity is
maintained by, 1)common interests and 2)military might.

Common good is a law/core-democratic value. :))  But as in Ep2 the Republic
sent in a ground force as well as trying to make negotiations.

Only an act of Congress(The Galactic Senate) could allow that or military
action, like the separatists did.  And even at that the Separatists were
just a bunch of hoo-ha made up by Palpatine to lure the Jedis into a trap.
He bought a clone army for himself, but on the other side IIRC, he bought on
for himself and destroyed the Jedi that way.  Besides if the state (or
splinter) separated from the others, it would have to be completely
self-sufficient.

I think a planet or a system could be self-sufficient.  why not? we are.

We are on the border line.  Although we don't really need electronics, most
of them come from imports.

And note even today as it was in Star Wars times, it is
hard to do that.  I am sure you can figure out why ;) • snip.
How did Adolf Hitler come to power
in Germany? How did Saddam Hussein come to power in Iraq? What KEPT them in
power?

What kept them in power was an iron fist.  LIKE Palpatine.  But look at
Hitler's reign.  Only about 30 years--like the Empire (Ok ok so that is
comparing it to real life).  Sooner or later people are going to start
standing up to unjustice and rebel.

umm.. try Hitler was in power for 13 years.  The way you stay in power is
figure out who your constituents are, and make life as cozy as possible for
them.  then, figure out who your most powerful enemies are, and try to make
them like you at least a little.  then, crush everyone else as much as possible
so that they could never get to the point of resisting.

The big thing is to never offend anyone with the power to beat you.  That's why
hitler failed (attacking USSR and USA), and why Stalin remained in power (no
major war except WW2).

Iron fist= killing people who might be able to take power away from you. :))

FUT: lugnet.off-topic.geek