 Star Wars / 12639
Re: Empire's Age?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 17:43:00 GMT

I can find it acceptible that the Empire only lasted 30 years or so. But
really I can't buy the Old Republic lasting some 20,000+ years. Given the
volitile nature of Humans, perhaps maybe 200 some years. Heck, our little
planet here, with only ONE species to govern and be governed by, hasnt had
any nation that has lasted as long as written history yet (bear in mind that
China the nation is NOT the same as China the culture or China the country
even!). Saying the Old Republic lasted some 20,000 years before ONE person
with enough greed to topple it came along is, well, rather a fantasy...

Which leads to another thought - if the Jedi kept the peace for "thousands
of years", how was it the Empire was able to hunt them down and destroy the
order? What previously prevented the Old Republic from into splintering into
however many mini-empires as there are space-faring races?

Think - how did Julius Ceaser came to power in the Roman Republic (after
all, HE made it into the Roman Empire)? How did Adolf Hitler come to power
in Germany? How did Saddam Hussein come to power in Iraq? What KEPT them in
power?

In lugnet.starwars, Kai Brodersen writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Ahui Herrera writes:
Does anyone know how long the EMPIRE lastest before it fell apart at the
battle of Yavin?  Seems to me that it was a very short time no more than 50
years.

I'm basing this off the fact that in SW EPII the EMPIRE is NOT offical there
yet.  The 'movemnet' for the OLD REPUBLIC to topple is going on.  So perhaps
in EP III that is where we might see the offical start of the Empire?  In SW
ROJ luke is about what Late 20s?  So you figure the empire has ONLY been
around for as long as luke has been alive.  So perhaps some 30-40 years?
Seems like such a such time compared to the OLD REPUBLIC?

Any thoughs..
AHui

Hmmm *whips out his Star Wars Timeline*

In Ep4 Luke and Leia are 18--YES thats right (well atleast what the
"LucasFilm apporved Essentail Guide to Vehicles and Vessles"

But the fall of the Republic is 29 years before Ep4.

Now the in Ep6 the fall of Empire occurs.  And that is 4 years after Ep4.

So the Empire only lasted about 33 years according to the timeline.

The Old Republic was formed 25,000 years before Ep4.  So the Old Republic
lasted around 24,971 years.

Now there are a lot of other timeline facts that I could drone about, but
that wouldn't pretain to the question.