 Space / 9759
9758  |  9760
Subject:
tinkering with docks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:34:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Thanks to Jon's addition of the tip section to the Galactic Shipyard, I was
reminded that I wanted to work on some docking port ideas...
I had an idea in mind, but after seeing some of the other cool docks,
specifically William R Ward's system... I decided to work in that direction.
I have come up with a few ideas for a gender switching system, and while
this one I have on Brickshelf isn't the most user-friendly, it gets the idea
across well enough. As always, LMKWYT...

the folder:

here is a brief explaination for a few of the images that need it:

image 1 is a view of the dock before insertion into a wall or floor (or
ceiling, natch).

I didn't build a sample brick wall section, since that's pretty obvious to
figure out.

image 2 is shows how it looks when imbedded into the upper hull of a ship.

shows how this is done using technic beams and the 1x1x1 technic bricks in
the outer four corners.

notes:

in this shape, they are more stable when docked at a 90 degree rotation to
each other.  I am going to try to figure out a way to make them more stable
when docked directly.

the 2 long axles that connect the ports together are impossible to control
when pulling the ports apart, ie you never know what side they end up on.
The next version of this dock will fix that.

comments or ideas?

cheers!
Joel Kuester