 Space / 9772
Re: tinkering with docks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 00:31:12 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
"Joel Kuester" <septenemae@hotmail.com> writes:
I have come up with a few ideas for a gender switching system, and while
this one I have on Brickshelf isn't the most user-friendly, it gets the idea
across well enough. As always, LMKWYT...

I have one concern though - the brackets you use to hold the Technic
"L" pieces are rather hard to come by.  I don't think I have more than
1 of them, for example.  Those are the ones used for some of the RES-Q
string spools, right?  How are they held on to the rest of the
structure?  I'd guess 2x2 Technic bricks with 2 holes, and those
little half-peg thingys?  Won't the brackets come off more readily
than the axles?

actually I didn't plan on using this part in the final design, it was a fast
mockup of the idea.  However, I was using this part:

'Technic Steering Arm with Connectors'
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32069
its quite strong.

How would you handle a vessel that has to brave the heat and fire of
re-entry?  You'd need either a big door to cover the whole thing up
(very bulky) or a pretty significant change in design.  I could
imagine a female-only docking port that would mate with this, though,
using the 1x2 bricks with axle holes instead of the peg holes used in
my earlier design.

I am going to have the whole docking chunk slide outward from the hull.
That's why I want it to be compact. as for the 1x2 bricks with axleholes,
check out the second iteration of this idea:

this is getting much closer to what I want to use on my ships.

the 2 long axles that connect the ports together are impossible to control
when pulling the ports apart, ie you never know what side they end up on.
The next version of this dock will fix that.

This is the big problem.  How do you plan to fix it?

the new design fixed that  :)

I'm wondering if we aren't taking the wrong approach here.  Your
swiveling Technic bits are suggesting an idea to me.  Perhaps
something could be done by having Technic axles on one ship slide into
corresponding pegholes on the other, on each side of the airlock...
I'll try to come up with a model and post here.

cool, looking forward to it!
I just added 4 pics of the second port design to:

cheers!
Joel Kuester