 Space / 9759
Subject:
tinkering with docks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:34:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Thanks to Jon's addition of the tip section to the Galactic Shipyard, I was
reminded that I wanted to work on some docking port ideas...
I had an idea in mind, but after seeing some of the other cool docks,
specifically William R Ward's system... I decided to work in that direction.
I have come up with a few ideas for a gender switching system, and while
this one I have on Brickshelf isn't the most user-friendly, it gets the idea
across well enough. As always, LMKWYT...

the folder:

here is a brief explaination for a few of the images that need it:

image 1 is a view of the dock before insertion into a wall or floor (or
ceiling, natch).

I didn't build a sample brick wall section, since that's pretty obvious to
figure out.

image 2 is shows how it looks when imbedded into the upper hull of a ship.

shows how this is done using technic beams and the 1x1x1 technic bricks in
the outer four corners.

notes:

in this shape, they are more stable when docked at a 90 degree rotation to
each other.  I am going to try to figure out a way to make them more stable
when docked directly.

the 2 long axles that connect the ports together are impossible to control
when pulling the ports apart, ie you never know what side they end up on.
The next version of this dock will fix that.

comments or ideas?

cheers!
Joel Kuester

Re: tinkering with docks
Thanks to Jon's addition of the tip section to the Galactic Shipyard, I was
reminded that I wanted to work on some docking port ideas...
I had an idea in mind, but after seeing some of the other cool docks,
specifically William R Ward's system... I decided to work in that direction.
I have come up with a few ideas for a gender switching system, and while
this one I have on Brickshelf isn't the most user-friendly, it gets the idea
across well enough. As always, LMKWYT... • [...]
in this shape, they are more stable when docked at a 90 degree rotation to
each other.  I am going to try to figure out a way to make them more stable
when docked directly.

This is a very cool-looking design, and has a great playability
factor.  I think it shows a lot of promise.  I do have a couple of
concerns though...

I have one concern though - the brackets you use to hold the Technic
"L" pieces are rather hard to come by.  I don't think I have more than
1 of them, for example.  Those are the ones used for some of the RES-Q
string spools, right?  How are they held on to the rest of the
structure?  I'd guess 2x2 Technic bricks with 2 holes, and those
little half-peg thingys?  Won't the brackets come off more readily
than the axles?

How would you handle a vessel that has to brave the heat and fire of
re-entry?  You'd need either a big door to cover the whole thing up
(very bulky) or a pretty significant change in design.  I could
imagine a female-only docking port that would mate with this, though,
using the 1x2 bricks with axle holes instead of the peg holes used in
my earlier design.

the 2 long axles that connect the ports together are impossible to control
when pulling the ports apart, ie you never know what side they end up on.
The next version of this dock will fix that.

This is the big problem.  How do you plan to fix it?

I'm wondering if we aren't taking the wrong approach here.  Your
swiveling Technic bits are suggesting an idea to me.  Perhaps
something could be done by having Technic axles on one ship slide into
corresponding pegholes on the other, on each side of the airlock...
I'll try to come up with a model and post here.

--Bill.

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.

Re: tinkering with docks
Thanks to Jon's addition of the tip section to the Galactic Shipyard, I • was
reminded that I wanted to work on some docking port ideas...
I had an idea in mind, but after seeing some of the other cool docks,
specifically William R Ward's system... I decided to work in that • direction.
I have come up with a few ideas for a gender switching system, and while
this one I have on Brickshelf isn't the most user-friendly, it gets the • idea
across well enough. As always, LMKWYT...

Very cool. I really like how the pegs connect on the outside of the "tube".
I prefer enough headroom for my minifigs to stand up though. This is only
important when we're talking about ships with gravity though.

the 2 long axles that connect the ports together are impossible to control
when pulling the ports apart, ie you never know what side they end up on.
The next version of this dock will fix that.

I'm a little confused here. 2 long axles? I see 8 small ones.

For my ship I used the Symmetry William mentioned along with pegs and holes
at a diagonal. My docking ring has male and female ports:

http://www.oklahoma.net/~jpalmer/dsc00011.jpg

-like so. The magnets are for show. : )
That way as long as the other ship has the same symmetry and diagonal pegs
and holes it could fit. Simply rotate one of the ships if they don't line up
at first.

But your switchable peg idea is better. No rotation needed.  I'm just
concerned that not everyone would have all of those technic pieces. I
honestly don't know if I  have 8 ( I guess I'd only really need 4) of those
black technic pieces you're using.

Regardless its another great idea.

Also, I'd like to add this post to the Tip page as well. I think I'm going
to orgnize the tip page by topic rather than time of post. This will go with
other docking ideas and so on.

-Jon

Re: tinkering with docks
In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
"Joel Kuester" <septenemae@hotmail.com> writes:
I have come up with a few ideas for a gender switching system, and while
this one I have on Brickshelf isn't the most user-friendly, it gets the idea
across well enough. As always, LMKWYT...

I have one concern though - the brackets you use to hold the Technic
"L" pieces are rather hard to come by.  I don't think I have more than
1 of them, for example.  Those are the ones used for some of the RES-Q
string spools, right?  How are they held on to the rest of the
structure?  I'd guess 2x2 Technic bricks with 2 holes, and those
little half-peg thingys?  Won't the brackets come off more readily
than the axles?

actually I didn't plan on using this part in the final design, it was a fast
mockup of the idea.  However, I was using this part:

'Technic Steering Arm with Connectors'
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32069
its quite strong.

How would you handle a vessel that has to brave the heat and fire of
re-entry?  You'd need either a big door to cover the whole thing up
(very bulky) or a pretty significant change in design.  I could
imagine a female-only docking port that would mate with this, though,
using the 1x2 bricks with axle holes instead of the peg holes used in
my earlier design.

I am going to have the whole docking chunk slide outward from the hull.
That's why I want it to be compact. as for the 1x2 bricks with axleholes,
check out the second iteration of this idea:

this is getting much closer to what I want to use on my ships.

the 2 long axles that connect the ports together are impossible to control
when pulling the ports apart, ie you never know what side they end up on.
The next version of this dock will fix that.

This is the big problem.  How do you plan to fix it?

the new design fixed that  :)

I'm wondering if we aren't taking the wrong approach here.  Your
swiveling Technic bits are suggesting an idea to me.  Perhaps
something could be done by having Technic axles on one ship slide into
corresponding pegholes on the other, on each side of the airlock...
I'll try to come up with a model and post here.

cool, looking forward to it!
I just added 4 pics of the second port design to:

cheers!
Joel Kuester

Re: tinkering with docks
Very cool. I really like how the pegs connect on the outside of the "tube".
I prefer enough headroom for my minifigs to stand up though. This is only
important when we're talking about ships with gravity though.

I agree, I'd love to find a way to get more headroom in there, but the
current size just has too many great features.  I think that if it gets much
bigger it would be alittle too bulky. at least IMHO.  It is designed to be a
universal port, so the main docks for all the manufacturers could still be
shaped whatever, as long as they have at least one universal type they'll be
covered.

I'm a little confused here. 2 long axles? I see 8 small ones.

I meant 2x long... hehe... sorry :)

For my ship I used the Symmetry William mentioned along with pegs and holes
at a diagonal. My docking ring has male and female ports:

http://www.oklahoma.net/~jpalmer/dsc00011.jpg

-like so. The magnets are for show. : )
That way as long as the other ship has the same symmetry and diagonal pegs
and holes it could fit. Simply rotate one of the ships if they don't line up
at first.

I thought of that too... it's a good idea, but without full rotation
abilities, there is always room for problems to arise.

But your switchable peg idea is better. No rotation needed.  I'm just
concerned that not everyone would have all of those technic pieces. I
honestly don't know if I  have 8 ( I guess I'd only really need 4) of those
black technic pieces you're using.

I agree, those are pretty rare parts.  The final design won't have those:

those parts were a temp solution to work through the idea... plus they look
cool  :)

Also, I'd like to add this post to the Tip page as well. I think I'm going
to orgnize the tip page by topic rather than time of post. This will go with
other docking ideas and so on.

great!  the more commentary the merrier.

cheers!
Joel Kuester

Re: tinkering with docks
[...]

I like these ideas very much.  So you're saying, this concept clamps around
a hole in the wall or ceiling, not requiring it to be fastened by studs on
the wall or ceiling?

~Trev

Re: tinkering with docks
I like these ideas very much.  So you're saying, this concept clamps around
a hole in the wall or ceiling, not requiring it to be fastened by studs on
the wall or ceiling?

~Trev

sadly, no they don't clamp the way you are thinking, however... that's a
cool idea perhaps.  I'm not sure what kind of practical use it would have,
but it might be fun to try it.

cheers!
Joel K

Re: tinkering with docks
actually I didn't plan on using this part in the final design, it was a fast
mockup of the idea.  However, I was using this part:

'Technic Steering Arm with Connectors'
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32069
its quite strong.

I've never seen that part before.  Interesting.  But then, I don't
have any of the "super cars".

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
How would you handle a vessel that has to brave the heat and fire of
re-entry?  You'd need either a big door to cover the whole thing up
(very bulky) or a pretty significant change in design.  I could
imagine a female-only docking port that would mate with this, though,
using the 1x2 bricks with axle holes instead of the peg holes used in
my earlier design.

I am going to have the whole docking chunk slide outward from the hull.

That's going to be bulky... it probably won't work on anything but
huge ships. :-(

That's why I want it to be compact. as for the 1x2 bricks with axleholes,
check out the second iteration of this idea:

this is getting much closer to what I want to use on my ships.

Ah, yes.  I like that a lot.  Very clever.

I'm wondering if we aren't taking the wrong approach here.  Your
swiveling Technic bits are suggesting an idea to me.  Perhaps
something could be done by having Technic axles on one ship slide into
corresponding pegholes on the other, on each side of the airlock...
I'll try to come up with a model and post here.

cool, looking forward to it!

I tried last night but couldn't get anywhere.  I'm not very
Technic-savvy, I'm afraid.  I didn't get into Technic the way I got
into Space as a kid/teen and so never really developed the design
skills for it.  I keep trying, but not getting far.  *sigh*

I'll keep working on it, though.

I just added 4 pics of the second port design to:

I like the new design a lot.  It's also a lot easier to achieve using
my LEGO collection :-)

--Bill.

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.

Re: tinkering with docks
In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
"Joel Kuester" <septenemae@hotmail.com> writes:
actually I didn't plan on using this part in the final design, it was a fast
mockup of the idea.  However, I was using this part:

'Technic Steering Arm with Connectors'
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32069
its quite strong.

I've never seen that part before.  Interesting.  But then, I don't
have any of the "super cars".

Aren't there also 4 available in the "Mud Masher" <set:8226>? It's a little
cheaper....
<snip>

--Bill.

-Duane