 Space / 9773
Re: tinkering with docks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 00:42:17 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:

Very cool. I really like how the pegs connect on the outside of the "tube".
I prefer enough headroom for my minifigs to stand up though. This is only
important when we're talking about ships with gravity though.

I agree, I'd love to find a way to get more headroom in there, but the
current size just has too many great features.  I think that if it gets much
bigger it would be alittle too bulky. at least IMHO.  It is designed to be a
universal port, so the main docks for all the manufacturers could still be
shaped whatever, as long as they have at least one universal type they'll be
covered.

I'm a little confused here. 2 long axles? I see 8 small ones.

I meant 2x long... hehe... sorry :)

For my ship I used the Symmetry William mentioned along with pegs and holes
at a diagonal. My docking ring has male and female ports:

http://www.oklahoma.net/~jpalmer/dsc00011.jpg

-like so. The magnets are for show. : )
That way as long as the other ship has the same symmetry and diagonal pegs
and holes it could fit. Simply rotate one of the ships if they don't line up
at first.

I thought of that too... it's a good idea, but without full rotation
abilities, there is always room for problems to arise.

But your switchable peg idea is better. No rotation needed.  I'm just
concerned that not everyone would have all of those technic pieces. I
honestly don't know if I  have 8 ( I guess I'd only really need 4) of those
black technic pieces you're using.

I agree, those are pretty rare parts.  The final design won't have those:

those parts were a temp solution to work through the idea... plus they look
cool  :)

Also, I'd like to add this post to the Tip page as well. I think I'm going
to orgnize the tip page by topic rather than time of post. This will go with
other docking ideas and so on.

great!  the more commentary the merrier.

cheers!
Joel Kuester