 Space / 9290
Re: Building big
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:57:54 GMT

In lugnet.space, Kyle Keppler writes:
<big snip>

2) Panels and hinges.  Here's the opposite extreme - have a few brick structures
tying in a bunch of panels and hinges to build the outer skin of the ship.  You
still need structural stability, but that's often hidden inside.  Having panels
and using hinges to mount them gives a much more interesting shape, and lends to
the SNOT or 'Studs Not On Top' building style.  These ships are very lightweight
compared to the brick ships, but they don't take a beating like the brick ones
do.  You have to be very careful to keep the panels on and if its on display you
might have to fix it often due to inquisitive hands.  This style lends to the
most interesting ship designs, but often the weakest, unless done right.

<snip>

I think that ships look and function the best when they use both bricks and
panels.  This means sacrificing a little from both extremes - ships having some
studs-up brick walls, along with panel walls.  This still gives the interesting
shapes panel ships have, but it gets more of the strength and stability of a
brick ship as well.

Example - Joel Kuester's Benevolent Grace [1].  Aside from the size of this
thing (I could lay down inside of it - its 8ft long!!!!) - I am impressed with
the techniques he built it with.  Joel designed this ship using a lot of bricks
for an exoskeleton of sorts -- there are big black brick beams that wrap around
the ship.  Then he filled in the gaps with panels, and almost all of them fold
out, come off, or flip up to get access to the inside.  They serve a double
purpose, access to the interior by humans for this 4 deck monster, and
interestingly sloped sides to create a pleasing shape.

Another good example of using lots of panels and lots of bricks would be my
160 stud long big ship:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=41339 Which is as of now
still unnamed and unpublished. The interior is full of brick walls and
technic beams. I first built the ship with just technic beams holding up all
the floors, but when interior detail was added, the walls that seperated the
various rooms helped stregthen it a great bit.

A good strong base is also very important, and my ship has a set up of:
a layer of plates,
a layer of technic beams and regular bricks,
and another layer of plates.

Another important method I used was to attach the techinc beams that are
supporting different levels together with more technic beams. This has made
it VERY sturdy. It has been sitting on the floor being supported by 2 stacks
at the extreme far ends of the ship of those weird 6x6x2 parts in the TIE
fighters for about a month now. And it has yet to buckle in the middle. I
can pick it up with 2 hands rather easily but I'm very nervous holding it
cause it's so big, heavy, and ackward to move. That's also the reason why it
has yet to venture out of my basement.

If anyone is wondering how I got all that grey, It's mostly from 5 Sith
Infiltrators( grey plates pack!), and 3 X wings (most bought on sale of
course), and then I got some grey bricks off brickbay.

My collection is 'only' about 30k (
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/mlist.cgi?m=791) so I think that shows you dont
need 'tons' of parts to go big...

<snip>

Nice tips timmah, I totally agree.

HTH

--Kyle
http://hvl.cjb.net
I have five questions for you, Kyle.  The first question is do you have a
real picture available of your ship and not a picture drawn on the computer?
The second question is where are the wings on your space craft?  I apologize
for not being able to appreciate some of the larger space craft but I was
one of those people who thought that the Star Destroyer and the Super Star
Destroyer in the Star Wars saga resembled a hybrid of a battleship and a
wedge of cheese.  Almost every builder has millions of attennas and tons of
bulky areas on these ships and none of these people realize that there is
friction in outer space and were these systems to be really existent in
space that about half of the ship would disintegrate while travelling in
space.  I am simply saying that you need some wings on your space craft.  I
am not saying that your space craft is ugly but I am saying that this is a
problem that many people fail to recognize in their designs.  I do not have
the experience in the larger ship category but my Gaea Federation Galaxy
Destroyer is a seventy three stud length space craft and the Nomadic Empire
Infiltrator is a seventy eight stud long space craft.  The logic in the
minds of these people would say that I should combine these ships but these
people also fail to recognize that I only own about ten or fifteen thousand
Legos, perhaps not even that many Legos.  I like the designs of your ship
but there is a lack of some wings on the sides of your space craft.  If I
was given more Legos, I would easily build five hundred stud or longer Lego
space craft but as my situation is right now, I am content with the Legos I
have built right now in my life.  The third question is why does Legoland
Space and Futuron/Futureworld share the same logo yet they are considered to
be two different systems?  I believe that there is a Futuron/Futureworld I
and a Futuron/Futureworld II as with the Space Police and Blacktron Lego
sets.  Do you consider my opinion to be wrong in this question to you, Kyle?
The fourth question is why is there not an Exploriens section on the Lugnet
Space section?  The Exploriens were part of Lego Space so I believe that
they should have a part on the Lugnet Lego space bulletin boards.  The fifth
question is I am looking for a particular Lego piece that has a two stud
width and a two stud length, is cylinderical in shape, and has fins on the
side that suggest that these pieces were used as either motors or the bases
to a rocket.  Do you know how I can obtain some of these pieces and the
names of these pieces, Kyle?  Thank you for helping me, Kyle.
Jesse Long