 Space / 9302
9301  |  9303
Subject:
Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:54:00 GMT

"Jesse Alan Long" <joyous4god2@yahoo.com> writes:
[...]
The second question is where are the wings on your space craft?  I apologize
for not being able to appreciate some of the larger space craft but I was
one of those people who thought that the Star Destroyer and the Super Star
Destroyer in the Star Wars saga resembled a hybrid of a battleship and a
wedge of cheese.  Almost every builder has millions of attennas and tons of
bulky areas on these ships and none of these people realize that there is
friction in outer space and were these systems to be really existent in
space that about half of the ship would disintegrate while travelling in
space.  I am simply saying that you need some wings on your space craft.
[...]

Actually, this is false.  Space is a vacuum - there is no air, only a
few stray molecules of gas or cosmic dust.  As a result, there is no
friction and thus no need for wings or streamlined shapes on space
craft.  Also, there is very little gravitational pull, so the lifting
power of wings is useless.

Wings are necessary for vehicles that travel in an atmosphere.  The
air pressure difference in air flowing above and below the wing
generates lift, which keeps the vehicle from crashing into the ground
due to the pull of gravity.  However this is not relevant or required
in outer space.  For example, the Space Shuttle has wings only becuase
it is needed for re-entry.  If you look at the Apollo spacecraft that
went to the moon and back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, they
have no streamlining or wings, and did not disintegrate.

You may find that wings are good from a visual point of view, and I
won't argue with that.  Also, they provide useful mounting points for
weapons or for maneuvering jets.  However, the purpose of wings on
aircraft is to provide lift - to use the flow of air over and under
the wings in order to fight the pull of gravity.  However, in outer
space there is neither air nor gravity to fight, so it is not
necessary to put wings on space-only ships.  Of course, like the Space
Shuttle, it may be desirable to allow your ships to land on Earth, in
which case wings would be useful.

--Bill.

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.