 Space / 9346
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:16:55 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:
"Jesse Alan Long" <joyous4god2@yahoo.com> writes:
[...]
The second question is where are the wings on your space craft?  I apologize
for not being able to appreciate some of the larger space craft but I was
one of those people who thought that the Star Destroyer and the Super Star
Destroyer in the Star Wars saga resembled a hybrid of a battleship and a
wedge of cheese.  Almost every builder has millions of attennas and tons of
bulky areas on these ships and none of these people realize that there is
friction in outer space and were these systems to be really existent in
space that about half of the ship would disintegrate while travelling in
space.  I am simply saying that you need some wings on your space craft.
[...]

Actually, this is false.  Space is a vacuum - there is no air, only a
few stray molecules of gas or cosmic dust.  As a result, there is no
friction and thus no need for wings or streamlined shapes on space
craft.  Also, there is very little gravitational pull, so the lifting
power of wings is useless.

My spacecraft have wings if they're intended to enter the atmosphere, such
as my Sparrow, http://www.frontiernet.net/~ghaberbe/sparrow.htm .

If they are strictly space (no atmospheric travel), they won't have wings,
but they will have things that look like wings, but are field vanes. I got
the idea from a recent WiReD article, the field vanes interact with field
properties in space. Depending on the applied charge, one side of the vane
will repel, the other will attract, giving a craft manueverability similar
to a winged craft flying through an atmosphere.

The alternative is to use thrusters and flywheels to change attitude,
orientation and velocity, which is harder to do, and doesn't look as spiffy.
I reserve this for lower tech spacecraft, such as my OTV
http://www.frontiernet.net/~ghaberbe/otv.htm .

George