 Space / 9496
Re: Building big
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 23:12:09 GMT

<snip>
The second question is where are the wings on your space craft?  I apologize
for not being able to appreciate some of the larger space craft but I was
one of those people who thought that the Star Destroyer and the Super Star
Destroyer in the Star Wars saga resembled a hybrid of a battleship and a
wedge of cheese.  Almost every builder has millions of attennas and tons of
bulky areas on these ships and none of these people realize that there is
friction in outer space and were these systems to be really existent in
space that about half of the ship would disintegrate while travelling in
space.  I am simply saying that you need some wings on your space craft.  I
am not saying that your space craft is ugly but I am saying that this is a
problem that many people fail to recognize in their designs.

<snip>
Jesse Long

I'll leave the real world technical discussion to the remainder of the
thread but I think it's worth mentioning that you can't criticize the lack
of wings in a Star Wars design without recognizing the frame of reference
they were designed within.  The SW universe contains things like repulsor
lifts and particle shields.  If you have repulsor lifts then you don't need
wings for atmospheric lift, and if you have particle shields then the fabric
of your ship does not encounter friction no matter how thick the cosmic dust.

Why shouldn't a Star Destroyer look like a wedge of cheese?  Maybe the
Emperor is fond of cheese.  Sith Cheese, Inc.  That has a nice ring to it...

John