 Space / 39468
Re: Birth of a New Faction: Rising Suns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:20:27 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tim David wrote:
   Nice models and nice storyboard. I think it might take you a while to tell the complete saga! We need to know how his father died, why he is fed up with the direction the Jade Empire is taking, and most importantly, how is he going to save them from themselves? I like the way the ship gets converted (did they file of the serial numbers?!), just one thing tho, I find the term ‘rice rocket’ a bit offensive, although I understand it is in pretty common use in the US?

Tim

Thanks for the story ideas! I hope that I’ll see someone else try a MOC using this faction. BTW, I based the colors for ‘Rising Suns’ on the PCS subtheme, but changed the blue accents to dark red/red. There are smoke windows; greys and black for greebling, etc.

The MOC is the “Rice Racer R” (not ‘rice rocket’), and it was the first MOC I built for what eventually became this whole story.

My intent was not to offend in any way. I came up with the idea for the “R” as part of the Great Asteroid contest at CS. My original storyline was of a Japanese guy who was known throughout Space as a playboy, but who was also a secret superhero who was HQ’ed inside an asteroid. The asteroid was going to be huge, with a complete Techno-Japan interior bachelor pad. (Alas, time was not on my side!)

Anyway, as part of that storyline, I thought of what type of craft would a dude like this own? It was just natural to include some elements of the cars that we sometimes see on the road today. There are, however, some other elements from my original idea in the “R” which I did not feature, such as the fact that the cockpit actually seats 2 minifigs - the other seat was for the ladies! ;)

“Big Daddy” Nelson