 Space / 37825
Re: Moongrazer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:47:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Kyle Vrieze wrote:
   It’s pretty cool to see you do a comic-style project as well as you do your giant Gundams. Not too many builders can do that kind of variety! I really enjoyed the story, and this new take on your original concept. I particularly enjoyed the cafeteria, which you made both realistic and decidedly less appealing than a trip to Cinnabon! I agree, if you’re going to lure humans with a particular scent, it would be tough to beat the Cinnabon aroma.

I think you’ll find that the ability to do variety exists in all builders. Creativity is creativity. Building is building. It’s just a question of motivation.

For example, I’ve never tried to make an interior like the cafeteria, but the plot needed it, so I was motivated. I approached it logically. Me thinking: Hmm... It needs a hygiene station first - little sinks for mandatory hand washing, monitored by a camera. Then maybe a moon muffin buffet table, always stale, even when fresh. How about a few pots of reheated moon gruel that you can slop on radar dish plates that leak through a hole in the center. Something to wash it all down? Yes, a drink dispenser. (Oh, and the ungainly goblets you must use are RF tagged so you can’t leave the cafe with them and spill all over the moonbase.) You can have either hot or cold. The spigot on the hot dispenser needs to be fiddled with or you don’t get anything but a trickle. The cold dispenser includes choices for orange and grape slushies. If you hit the button for grape though you’ll still get orange, because I don’t like grape. In any case all the orange syrup was used up months ago and you’ll just get plain slush regardless. There are also only a few chairs in the cafe, austere stand up tables being the primary place to eat. This isn’t a social meeting place, it’s a grim, grey feeding trough. By the way, I hear a Cinnabon just opened off of module 32. Hey, where are you going? :-)