 Space / 37562
Re: SPARTAN MK 1 My entry for the Military Hover-Vehicle Contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:04:50 GMT

In lugnet.space, Derek Schin wrote:
In lugnet.space, Michael Rutherford wrote:

  Keith gets over excited very quickly when threatened.  I called his mom, and
it turns out that when he saw SPARTAN, he simply flew into a panic (he even lost
his asthma inhaler). When frightened, it’s not un-common for Keith to lash out
at the people he loves.

Speaking of Keith's mom, she has got to stop giving out my number for people to
call her at.  Just because she's always here doesn't mean I need random phone
calls from people looking for her.  I mean, even though she's not bringing in
the cash like she used to, Don "Magic" Juan could still afford to buy her a cell
phone.

Oh, yeah, about the MOC.  Using poor photography is an excellent way to cover up
shoddy construction techniques, but I don't think its use is warranted in this
situation.  Very nice build, and an excellent target for any number of platforms
that perform their mission from a higher altitude (much like any modern-day
tank, I'm sure the SPARTAN's crew refer to their vehicle as a moving coffin).
Huah!

Derek

Derek,
  True dat true dat...
  But that’s always the rub with ADA systems. Soviet ZSU, US Bradley Stinger
variant, or in the more extreme case, I forget what it's called, but it’s a
stinger/gun combo mounted in a HUMMWV.  Self Propelled ADA is almost never
mounted on a real MBT style chasse.  I think in WWII the Germans had a quad
flack unit mounted on a tank chasse, but even then all the ADA stuff was in a
thin skinned turret that wouldn't stop more than small arms fire.
  The thinking is that if you have allowed your ADA system to be engaged
directly by the enemies’ tanks, you have already goofed pretty badly.  If you
put so much armor on your ADA system that it can survive a direct hit by an MBT,
then the machine weighs so much that it can't carry enough missiles to justify
its presence on the battle field.
  The two most common alternatives are to establish air superiority so you don't
have to field ADA or to deploy ADA assets that can engage form beyond the
enemies range (like a Patriot system).
  Air superiority is everybody’s favorite, but not always possible in the early phases of an invasion.  Whether, supply lines, air space restrictions (like when France won't let us fly over their country on our way to bomb Libya) all combine to make it a tough thing to establish early on.  Don’t forget that if you’re the one attacking, you must also contend with your enemies ADA capabilities as well.  SAM city.   Air superiority is "da bomb" to be sure, but one shouldn't count on it as an article of faith.
  Long range ADA systems are also big crowd pleasers, but have limitations of
their own. Their range allows a properly equipped enemy to see them coming and
either intercept them, decoy them, deny them (by landing or entering a valley)
or to destroy them at the point of origin (take out the stationary launcher).
  So it always comes back to the best AD being a layered and integrated system,
and that means keeping some missiles up front, and mobile.  And that means light
armor.
  You could put missiles in a more survivable chasse, but it will cost you at
the strategic level.  More fuel, more time, more support, for a system that is
not really eliminating your enemies’ main defense (his MBTs or Mechs).  Besides,
if SPARTAN was much heaver, it would have to float on magic beams or something.
The sucker must already weigh at least 80 tons!
  You are correct however.  If an MBT puts steal on a SPARTAN the party is over.
Secondly, if a Legion Commander puts his SPARTANs in a tank fight, needs to
consider the benefits of being killed in action.  The reception awaiting him in
Das Capitol would in all probability not be a pleasant one.
Attack!
Mike
PS So was that you who answered the phone when I called for Keiths mom last
night?