 Space / 26780
Re: Matrix Weapon Tech
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 02:06:27 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Riley wrote:
   No problem. “Osiris” is pretty much just a back story for “Reloaded.” A lot of people felt it was just a chance for “Square” to show off their CGI (which is impressive). Probably why you forgot it: it doesn’t make you go “whoa” or “huh.”

I actually found myself being very invested in the ultimate fate of the Osiris crew, and I’m undecided as to whether I liked Osiris or the 2R two-parter best. What I do know for sure is that I consider the four Wachowski pieces to be much better and more relevent to the Matrix series than the five other pieces. I totally disliked Program, which felt like someone used a ten-foot crowbar to forcibly pry a mediocre traditional anime story into a Matrix label. I liked the story of World Record, but I can’t stand the animation style. Beyond was interesting, and gets you really thinking, but ultimately it left me with a somewhat empty feeling. I found Matriculated to be philosophically more interesting, but the visuals weren’t very appealing to me. Detective Story was the only indie short that I really enjoyed completely.

   After reading some of the other replies, I’ll have to say that converted bots are probably used more for reconassiance missions or sniping missions.

Who says they would have had a chance to do anything with their convert-o-bot? Technically, they didn’t even gain control of it. They just infected it with a conscience, and I’d guess it’s working from the inside. I also kinda got the impression that this isn’t the sort of thing that they’ve really done before.

   I imagine that the generals of Zion aren’t willing to risk their futures on converted bots until proven reliable in the field.

Certainly not. They don’t even invest much trust in the crews of their own ships. Note that of the eight person Nebbie crew in Matrix, only Morpheus actually had any Zion codes. If he died, they probably would have had to rendevouz with another ship before they’d be able to return to Zion, either to get codes for the next-in-line, or to caravan back home with someone who does have codes.

   I was still trying to figure out the whole Architect conversation, and Neo’s strange ability in the “real” world. These two events lead me to believe (and many others) that there is another layer to the Matrix (Agent Smith, in the first movie, stated that humans rejected the first Matrix. Some humans are also going to reject the second, current, Matrix, so it’s possible a third Matrix was made to catch the rejects so “crops” won’t be lost).

I got the impression that the first Matrix failed outright, and that rather than being layered like an onion, the subsequent Matrices have been serial stand-alones, coming one after another. It’s clear from the Architect conversation that Neo was intended to start a new Zion, while the current Matrix would be replaced with the latest upgrade just as it’s been done before. Matrix rejection seems to work more on a physical level than a mental one, so having another layer of VR to “catch” the reject isn’t likely to help much if the physical body is causing the battery pod to hiccup. Being machines, they probably prefer to spit out a “defective” battery instead of investing a lot of energy into trying to fix it. Besides, if you did intend to layer “safety nets”, having them think they’re waking up from a run-of-the-mill dream should be much more effective at stabilizing them than having them wake up in one of those freaky battery pods.

As for Neo’s ability, well, remember that these people are heavily cyberized with a not insignificant amount of computer hardware. Smith was essentially able to rewrite some guy’s harddrive by virtue of this fact. We don’t really know exactly how powerful this gear is, but Neo is obviously able to use it in ways that none of his contemporaries can, and that last trick is something that’s probably never been done by anyone before. I think it’s probably something along the lines of using his cyberware to project a low-level EMP.