 Space / 26750
Re: Matrix Weapon Tech
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:49:07 GMT

WARNING: I forgot to put a spoiler warning for those of you who have not seen Animatrix or Reloaded yet.

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer wrote:
   In lugnet.space, John Riley wrote:

The Animatrix is a good resource. The first Animatrix film, “Flight of the Osiris,” has the hovership Osiris combatting Sentinels. They used machine gun turrets, similar to the laser turrets that Han & Luke use to shoot down TIE Fighters in the Star Wars Millenium Falcon.

I actually totally forgot about seeing this. After seeing Dreamcatcher I’ve been trying to forget about it ever since. Maybe my brain accidentally lumped “Osiris” in with it. This is perfect. Thank you!

No problem. “Osiris” is pretty much just a back story for “Reloaded.” A lot of people felt it was just a chance for “Square” to show off their CGI (which is impressive). Probably why you forgot it: it doesn’t make you go “whoa” or “huh.”

   The last Animatrix film, “Matriculated,” shows how the freed humans try to capture and convert the machines. So a hovership could possibly have deployable bots for combat. Depends on the ethics of the captain.

And I’ve seen this one as well. Peter Chung at some of his finest. Hmmm, ok now I want to make a bot like the one they convert.

I agree, I really like this one. This is the deepest one, IMO. Ethics & technology, discussion of what is real, etc. Huge “whoa” factor. I’m glad this one was at the end: you get to think about the implications during the credits.

After reading some of the other replies, I’ll have to say that converted bots are probably used more for reconassiance missions or sniping missions. These missions should have a lower chance for the converted bots to be retaken, and if something goes awry in the bots, only a small force is lost, not Zion. I imagine that the generals of Zion aren’t willing to risk their futures on converted bots until proven reliable in the field.

If you make a bot like the one in “Matriculated,” are you going to make it minifig scale? They don’t appear much bigger than a human. I think I have an idea already on how to do it at that scale, I’ll have to give it a shot tonight.

   My imagination suggests that the base hovership is designed for reconaissance and recovery missions, and thus is lightly armed to increase stealth and speed. In the battle for Zion, though, I assume that the hoverships have been outfitted with additional armanents, along with the mecha suits (an unarmored mecha suit is seen when the Nebucaneezer arrives in Zion in Matrix Reloaded). Based on these assumptions, I suspect that the weaponry is modular.

Yeah I bet the ships in that battle were loaded with weapons. And speaking of that mecha, did you see the shot of the guy in it in the Revolutions teaser? It’s a quick shot but you can definitely tell it’s being used in a battle.

I was still trying to figure out the whole Architect conversation, and Neo’s strange ability in the “real” world. These two events lead me to believe (and many others) that there is another layer to the Matrix (Agent Smith, in the first movie, stated that humans rejected the first Matrix. Some humans are also going to reject the second, current, Matrix, so it’s possible a third Matrix was made to catch the rejects so “crops” won’t be lost). I paid little attention to the teaser while contemplating these thoughts (which is the real fun of the Matrix movies).

   If you’re a fan of The Matrix, you should rent or buy Animatrix anyway, as it offers more insight into the world of the machines.

Yeah I’ve been meaning to buy it. My personal favorite is Koji Morimoto’s “Beyond”. Brilliant.

“Beyond” was, IMO, the most beautiful of the shorts. I love the shot with her standing in the doorway to the building, and it’s raining inside. The colors are fantastic. “Program” is my other favorite; it’s vividly colored, but still rather dark film about betrayal, trust, deception.

   Hope this helps with your inspiration: I look forward to seeing the hovership (I assume this is why you asked!)

Oh definitely. I can’t believe I forgot about the Osiris. Machine guns baby, machine guns.

    j o n
zemi.net
the-shipyard

Looking forward to it. I’ll have to try some of the bots the next time I rent “Animatrix.” Good luck!

John