 Space / 26731
Re: Matrix Weapon Tech
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:24:58 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Riley wrote:

The Animatrix is a good resource. The first Animatrix film, “Flight of the Osiris,” has the hovership Osiris combatting Sentinels. They used machine gun turrets, similar to the laser turrets that Han & Luke use to shoot down TIE Fighters in the Star Wars Millenium Falcon.

I actually totally forgot about seeing this. After seeing Dreamcatcher I’ve been trying to forget about it ever since. Maybe my brain accidentally lumped “Osiris” in with it. This is perfect. Thank you!

   The last Animatrix film, “Matriculated,” shows how the freed humans try to capture and convert the machines. So a hovership could possibly have deployable bots for combat. Depends on the ethics of the captain.

And I’ve seen this one as well. Peter Chung at some of his finest. Hmmm, ok now I want to make a bot like the one they convert.

   My imagination suggests that the base hovership is designed for reconaissance and recovery missions, and thus is lightly armed to increase stealth and speed. In the battle for Zion, though, I assume that the hoverships have been outfitted with additional armanents, along with the mecha suits (an unarmored mecha suit is seen when the Nebucaneezer arrives in Zion in Matrix Reloaded). Based on these assumptions, I suspect that the weaponry is modular.

Yeah I bet the ships in that battle were loaded with weapons. And speaking of that mecha, did you see the shot of the guy in it in the Revolutions teaser? It’s a quick shot but you can definitely tell it’s being used in a battle.

   If you’re a fan of The Matrix, you should rent or buy Animatrix anyway, as it offers more insight into the world of the machines. Two of the Animatrix films are directly referenced in Matrix Reloaded, so it adds to the back story. Four of the short films are available free online, but all nine of them are worth watching. The two I’ve referenced here are only available on the DVD. (“Flight of the Osiris” was also shown before the movie “Dreamcatchers”).

Yeah I’ve been meaning to buy it. My personal favorite is Koji Morimoto’s “Beyond”. Brilliant.

   Hope this helps with your inspiration: I look forward to seeing the hovership (I assume this is why you asked!)

Oh definitely. I can’t believe I forgot about the Osiris. Machine guns baby, machine guns.

    j o n
zemi.net
the-shipyard