 Robotics / NXT / 135
RE: Video from a Camera Cellphone into the NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:44:22 GMT

Topic was formerly named "Gnah I'm afraid I've discovered a new bug".
I've put a more relevant subject on it. This is in response to a reply
from Tony Naggs.

This is a good answer but not to the question I wanted answered. The
currently available cameras (CMUCAM, AVRCAM) for hobby robots are
"smart" cameras.

The robot tells the camera what color(s) to look for and the camera
analyses the video image (say 10 frames per second or higher) to report
back to the robot the bounding rectangles of color blobs that matched
the defined colors. The value of this approach is that it minimizes CPU
overhead and I/O bandwidth on the NXT -- it's simply exchanging 10 to 20
bytes every 100 msec vs a constant video stream.

So my question is multi-part.

It would be nice to use an existing camera phone for this application
instead of buying a CMUCAM/AVRCAM ($100 - $200 each). So my question was
really related to this specific application.

1. Can a user's JAVE program running in the camera phone gain
   access to a video frame buffer and do the blob recognition? The
   application needs access to a "raw" video image and not a JPEG or
   other compressed file.
2. Is there enough CPU horsepower in the camera phone for this
   application? An AVRCAM is a 20Mhz 8-bit AVR with 384 bytes
   of RAM so I figured a camera phone should have enough cycles.
3. Can the JAVA gain fast enough access to process 10 frames per
   second?
4. Does the JAVA gain access to the video frame in RAM in real
   time?
5. Can you find an easy want to message (BT?) between the camera
   phone and the NXT?