 Robotics / NXT / 134
Re: Gnah I'm afraid I've discovered a new bug :(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:35:26 GMT

In article <001501c6d613$4aece680$060ba8c0@dickdesktop>, Dick Swan
<dickswan@sbcglobal.net> writes

Anyone know if user applications (Java?) running on a camera phone have
access to a recent frame buffer from the on-board camera?

There are quite a number of different software platforms, versions and
variants for 'feature phones' and 'smart' phones.  For Java a lot of
APIs are optional, to varying degrees and have different versions.
These may even change with firmware version.

Most application environment have APIs to take pictures, (usually as
JPEG or PNG).  Also to take short videos.

For a phone with Java you want to find out if it supports MIDP, (Mobile
Information Device profile), and what version.  And if it is MIDP 2.0 or
later whether it supports the Media API or Mobile Media API, (MMAPI) or
on some older phones a manufacturer specific API for the camera.

The Java capabilities of the Sony Ericsson Z530I, that Anders mentioned,
are described here:
http://developer.sonyericsson.com/site/global/products/phonegallery/z530/p_z530.jsp

Whilst it does list the phone as supporting MMAPI I would suggest a
device with a larger screen would be more comfortable to program.

The Sony Ericsson developer home page is here:
http://developer.sonyericsson.com/site/global/home/p_home.jsp

- Tony
--
  The NXT Step blog discusses the Lego Mindstorms NXT:
  http://thenxtstep.blogspot.com/