 Robotics / 9512
9511  |  9513
Subject:
detecting goal objects at a distance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 08:38:42 GMT

I want to make a robot that finds a small object, picks it up, and carries it
somewhere.  I don't want to have to tell the robot how to find it (eg with a
line on the floor), and I'd prefer to avoid randomly (or even systematically)
searching the entire floor hoping to just run into the target.

The builtin light sensor seems to be useless at a distance.  Even in a darkened
room with the target illuminated by a laser pointer the sensor values barely
fluctuate when it is pointing at the target.  I've tried covering the target in
aluminum foil...  I'm willing to put a beacon (like a battery powered LED) on
each target (I'm using empty film canisters) but even then I can't seem to make
a dent in the sensor readings.  Should I buy an IR LED?

Has anyone tried putting a lens in front of the sensor?  SONAR?  RADAR?

--Ben