 Robotics / 26239
Re: NXT compatible bluetooth adapters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:36:59 GMT

Hi

In article <004e01c6a0b2$1ecc34c0$070ba8c0@dickdesktop>, Dick Swan
<dickswan@sbcglobal.net> wrote
According to Lego "Supported Bluetooth software are WidcommR Bluetooth
for Windows newer than v. 1.4.2.10 SP5 and the Bluetooth stacks included
in Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 / Apple MacOS X 10.3.9 and
10.4."

This, folks, is what you must shop for.

In trying to get Bluetooth working with a NXT it would be a wise
bet to assume this means "We've only tested using these stacks".

I am sure that everyone interested in the Lego NXT, especially so early
in the release cycle, is optimistic and dreaming of the possibilities.
So it is sad for me to shatter this little dream - alas it is worse than
you think, for Windows at least - I cannot speak for the MAC side of
things.

Windows XP Service Pack 1 introduced a modest Bluetooth driver stack and
APIs to program against.  Prior to this Bluetooth support for Windows
has been added by a variety of incompatible third party driver stacks,
some with many different versions.

To write Bluetooth applications for these stacks you need to spend
$000's on a development kit for the particular stack version you are
targeting.  Generally you would distribute your application with the
Bluetooth dongle & drivers that you developed against.

Widcomm (now Broadcom) have a large slice of the market, and from Lego's
wording it seems that Widcomm/Broadcom have finally promised forwards
compatibility between applications and new versions of their stack.

(I am not sure how this will work for new Bluetooth dongles as Broadcom
make Bluetooth chipsets and whilst Cambridge Silicon Radio probably have
the biggest share of the Bluetooth chip market.  Maybe dongle makers
will prefer to get their driver stack elsewhere.)

If you have Windows XP and want to use Microsoft's Bluetooth stack you
should ensure you have Service Pack 2 (two) installed.  (SP1's Bluetooth
has bugs.)  Microsoft have a list of Bluetooth devices they directly
support as of November 2004:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;841803

Notes: 1. Ezurio (www.ezurio.com) is the name of company that now
produces the TDK Systems Bluetooth dongles.  2. Cambridge Silicon Radio
(CSR) make the chips used in many Bluetooth dongles, and Microsoft
appear to directly support some non-customised variants.

I trust this is useful.

Best regards,
Tony
--
  "If you don't know, invent." - Robert Baden-Powell