 Robotics / 24485
Re: High Failure Rate of New Type 9V Geared Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:27:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Chio Siong Soh wrote:
Bad tidings! I'm experiencing a rather high failure rate with the new type 9V
geared motor (#43362). This motor has been discussed before
(http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=19204&t=i&v=a)

This motor can be easily recognised: when you twirl the shaft it turns very
little and quickly comes to a halt. And it is lousy for doing the Magic Motor
Test - connect an electric wire from one motor to the other. Twirl the shaft of
one motor, the other motor should turn at almost the same speed.

Out of 20 of these motors from 10 brand new RIS 2.0 sets, 6 motors have failed
on me within less than a year. Some failed within just a couple of weeks. The
common pattern of failure was that the motors will begin to turn slowly with a
grinding sound, stiffened up and eventually will get jammed.

A possible cause for this behaviour was given at
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=19212

I'm beginning to suspect that there is a design and/or manufacturing fault in
these new type motors that should be drawn to TLC's attention. Or are they
already aware of this? If so, why are they still putting them out?

Would appreciate to know what is the experience of others just to be sure I'm
not jinxed!

C S Soh

I had the same problem with one of mine. Using them in a fast RC car might do
this if it gets slammed into something.  I will inform Nathanael Kuipers of the
problem since he works at TLC and can tell the proper person.