 Robotics / 19212
Re: New Version of 9V Geared Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:23:28 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Gaurav Thakur writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Clark Stephens writes:
TJ,
Mark has graciously allowed his picture to  be added to my Brickshelf
comparison page. Here's a deep link until the moderation is done:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ClarkCorner/Vintage/Comparisons/motor_9v_gear.jpg

I examined my motors and did not really notice anything like this in them;
all were of the older type you have listed there. (one from the barcode set,
two from the Mindstorms RDS and one extra I got from ebay)

One thing that came to mind though was that the first version of these
motors did have some problems with them, and there were a number of
complaints about the motors breaking down, becoming too stiff, and some
other such things. These were only present in the very first 8735 and 8479
sets though, and I think TLC made a corrected version after a few months.

-Gaurav

From what I noticed...

The permanent magnet is made by pressing together metal filings under
pressure (my deduction, dunno if its true), and sometimes the magnet
literally disintegrates, which causes metal filings to gum up the entire
works.  When I took my seized motor apart, it looked as if the coating
around the magnet was bubbled, and in areas, opened up to let loose the
metal filings into the rest of the motor.  As well, when the coating of the
magnet starts to bubble, it presses against the winding casing, which is the
'slowdown' before the 'seize'.

Either way, I received replacements for all my seized motors (3) from LEGO.

I now have 16 working motors, and so far, no more seized ones.

Dave K