 Robotics / 24495
Re: High Failure Rate of New Type 9V Geared Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 01:24:04 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Nathan Bell wrote:
Do you think it is excessive torque, excessive use, or just a bad piece design
that causes this problem?

I suspect it's bad design. Perhaps the way the brushes rub on the PCB as pointed
out by Philo (http://www.philohome.com/motors/motor.htm). "This higher friction
explains why 43362 stops faster when you give the shaft a twirl, and why its
no-load current is higher (9mA vs. 3.5mA)".

Its performance is degraded compared to the earlier motor (#71427). The only
advantage seems to be its lighter weight.

In previous posts misgivings have been expresed about this new motor which I am
now re-voicing:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=19204
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=8601

C S Soh