 Robotics / 24484
    High Failure Rate of New Type 9V Geared Motor —Chio Siong Soh
   Bad tidings! I'm experiencing a rather high failure rate with the new type 9V geared motor (#43362). This motor has been discussed before ((URL) motor can be easily recognised: when you twirl the shaft it turns very little and quickly comes to a (...) (19 years ago, 17-Oct-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

        Re: High Failure Rate of New Type 9V Geared Motor —Nathan Bell
   (...) I had the same problem with one of mine. Using them in a fast RC car might do this if it gets slammed into something. I will inform Nathanael Kuipers of the problem since he works at TLC and can tell the proper person. (19 years ago, 17-Oct-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

        Re: High Failure Rate of New Type 9V Geared Motor —Chio Siong Soh
   (...) Thanks! No, these motors were only used for FLL type challenges, not in fast RC cars. I can submit the bad motors for *CSI* and 'autopsy' if need be. C S Soh (19 years ago, 20-Oct-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

        Re: High Failure Rate of New Type 9V Geared Motor —Nathan Bell
   (...) I sent Nathanael Kuipers an email regarding the motors and asked him to forward it to the proper person. Do you think it is excessive torque, excessive use, or just a bad piece design that causes this problem? Nathan (19 years ago, 21-Oct-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

        Re: High Failure Rate of New Type 9V Geared Motor —Chio Siong Soh
   (...) I suspect it's bad design. Perhaps the way the brushes rub on the PCB as pointed out by Philo ((URL) "This higher friction explains why 43362 stops faster when you give the shaft a twirl, and why its no-load current is higher (9mA vs. 3.5mA)". (...) (19 years ago, 22-Oct-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

        Re: High Failure Rate of New Type 9V Geared Motor —Ross Crawford
   (...) I'm guessing it may also be cheaper / easier to manufacture. ROSCO (19 years ago, 22-Oct-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

        Re: High Failure Rate of New Type 9V Geared Motor —Jordan Bradford
   (...) I burned out two of these motors in a high-torque situation (my Great Ball Contraption module prototype) which I posted about (URL) here> and (URL) here>. I don't like them for their friction, their louder sound, and that they "feel" cheaper (...) (19 years ago, 27-Oct-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, FTX)

        Re: High Failure Rate of New Type 9V Geared Motor —Chio Siong Soh
   (...) What a relief to know I'm not jinxed after all. (...) And their high mortality rate. I hope the proper person at TLC is looking into it. C S Soh (19 years ago, 28-Oct-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, FTX)