 Robotics / 24486
Re: Pictures of New technique: Cascaded Trinary Pneumatics (aka mid-stop)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:25:51 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Mark,
  I've tried to study the pictures, but I cannot resolve the mechanical
linkages, and/or the pneumatic hookups.  I was going to try to draw up a
schematic, but I just can't resolve the images.

  Any chances we could see a schematic, or an LDraw file of the linkages?
Kevin

I'll start a schematic next week as this week is an unusual week at work.  That
should cover the pneumatic circuit.

Basically, each stage gets a feed from the compressor, which goes to the middles
of the two switches that drive the next stage (see control stage for this).
From the outer nozzle of each of those switches, a hose goes to the centre of a
self-drive switch on the next stage, crossing over between stages.  The inner
nozzles have stoppers.

The outer nozzles of the two self-drive switches go to the cylinder bottoms,
crossing over again, the tops of the cylinders being left unconnected.  The
inner nozzles of these switches also have stoppers.

In Evo 1, the connection between each self-drive switch and the cylinder has a
T-junction into one side nozzle of the centre switch, the centre nozzle having a
stopper.  This provides a controlled leak to the cylinders one at a time.

Apart from a common connection to the compressor, the switches that drive the
next stage are completely separate fromn the self-drive switches in each stage.

In a 3-switch stage, only the centre switch is directly mechanically linked to
the pistons.  The outer two are pushed by the ends of the 1x4 brick with holes
and pulled by the belts.  In the 5-switch stage, the two outer switches are
linked to the next two with 2x4 L-brackets, since they fit on the 3L black
connector pegs that are pushed through the #2 axle joints on top of the
switches.

The frame for each stage is 15L liftarms with 2x4 or 3x5 L-brackets and 5L and
7L liftarms for the vertical members.

One bit that didn't come out in the pictures is the 7L liftarm that supports the
cams and 2L liftarms (that give parallelogram movement with the centre switch
lever).  The 7L liftarm is supported at 2L centres above the bottom beam using
two 3x3 right angle thin liftarms.

I'll see if I can build another similar stage in brighter colours soon for my
next round of MOC photos, though I have a 3-day railway exhibition a week on
Friday.  I have about another film's worth of MOCs to take now, but will post a
few other pictures in the meantime.

Mark