 Publishing / 4883
  Re: MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative

(...) Hey, Sean- This sounds great, and that was one of my issues, but here is another-- the advent of ads. I realize, of course, the reason for them, but if one were a contributing member, would it be possible for the ads not to appear on one's (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative

(...) I don't like the ads anymore than you do, it kills me to see them there. But MOCpages had to shift to an advertising model (from a donation model) to stay alive. It's a sad truth. Over 1,000,000 people visit MOCpages every month... most of (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative

Hey Sean, I've got a question about ads. Do you gain revenue every time I log onto the site and see the ad, or do I actually have to click on it? If the latter, I think we in the community could make the very minor commitment to click on ads when we (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative

(...) I don't think you want to do that. It might get Sean in trouble for (URL) click fraud>. Just click on the ads that you are actually interested in. Marc Nelson Jr. (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative

(...) IIRC, Google ads actually penalizes sites that end up with many clicks on ads that do not actually end up in sales? It certainly penalizes the advertisers that have such ads. Dan (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative

(...) Hmm, guess I won't do that then. It does see odd to me. The idea of advertising is the more eyeballs the better. My TV doesn't penalize me for watching the commercials even if I don't buy anything. To the contrary, they are hoping that since I (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative

(...) It's not like you watching a commercial though - it's like you turning on the TV when you're not home, so that the rating of a show goes up (and therefor it's revenue from commercials). If you follow a link of interest, and end up not buying, (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative

(...) It depends on the ad. Some ads pay out on a cost-per-view, and others pay out on a cost-per-click. It is up to the advertiser to decide how they want their ad to work in this regard. This is actually a good thing, because some advertisers just (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: MOCpages, now a Brickshelf alternative

(...) On top of this, click padding/click fraud throws the whole system off. The core concept is based on a system that tracks, reports, and allows advertisers to respond based on real interest. For instance, if I'm selling widgets and am using (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jul-07, to lugnet.publish)