 Pirates / 4357
Re: Viking Longship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 06:13:28 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
Ahoy pirate fans and well met castle fans,

The Vikings sets are vool, but after visiting the Vikings Exhibition at the
Australian National Maritime Museum in January, I decided to experiment with
building some more accurate (after a fashion), viking vessels.

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/Miscellaneous/longship1.jpg>>

Fabulous!

This is funny timing because I'm in the middle of researching Viking ships now
for a BrikWars game. (In fact, If you could recommend good links to Viking info
online, I'd really appreciate it.)

Initially, I planned to extend the standard viking ship by an extra hull
section, but after some experimentation I decided to stick with the standard
three. The proportions at three hull sections are pretty good
[snip]

Really?  cool. I was wondering about those dimensions. At first I thought the
ship (as LEGO designed it) might be abnormally wide, but then I read that the
Vikings sometimes brought horses with them on board, so I figure it must be
reasonable. Heh, I'm glad as this means I don't need to buy another ship for its
mid-section!

No post or article about vikings would be complete without a mention of the
inaccuracy of the horned helmets, so this is it.

Ha! Yes! I've been wondering how to break this news to my teammates. :-) They'll
be so sad.

I read in a book that the oarsmen sat on chests containing their possessions. I
figure I'll try to incorporate that somehow in my model when I build it. From
your pictures, I can't tell if you did that too.

The overlapping shields look great. And I also like the paper sail. very nice.

Cheers,
Suz