 Pirates / 4354

Subject:
Viking Longship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.boats
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 01:21:09 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Ahoy pirate fans and well met castle fans,

The Vikings sets are vool, but after visiting the Vikings Exhibition at the Australian National Maritime Museum in January, I decided to experiment with building some more accurate (after a fashion), viking vessels.

Initially, I planned to extend the standard viking ship by an extra hull section, but after some experimentation I decided to stick with the standard three. The proportions at three hull sections are pretty good, although I admit my main constraint was a lack of oars and 4x4 dish shields to go any bigger.

The overlapping shields are probably the most distinctive viking longship feature, and they were certainly a challenge to achieve in lego... using 3x3 shields may have been easier (and more realistic), but I have far less of them than I do the 4x4 shields, and I would have needed more for the same length.

The shields are mounted on 1x1 round plates on headlight bricks which are slightly angled and have a 2.5 stud spacing. The result looks nice, but is quite fragile.

The rigging is new, the sail is parchment paper (much better than stiffened cloth!), and the sail controls are a tad more realistic than Lego’s version (though I never complain about getting more chains!). Viking sails were woven wool though, so they would have been heavy - probably not quite heavy enough to need chains, though.

The vessel is fitted out with supplies and an (authentically) large crew.

Here are some more pics of the completed vessel (click for the full sized image):

No post or article about vikings would be complete without a mention of the inaccuracy of the horned helmets, so this is it.

(I’ve set the FUT to .pirates and .castle, but please consider appropriate FUT if responding)

Cheers

Richie Dulin

Re: Viking Longship
No post or article about vikings would be complete without a mention of the inaccuracy of the horned helmets, so this is it.

(I’ve set the FUT to .pirates and .castle, but please consider appropriate FUT if responding)

Cheers

Richie Dulin

Nice! And the parchment paper is a great idea... I’m already stealing one of your tricks for a boat I’m working on, and this makes two.

One of those striped canopies would look good - are those historically accurate?

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations

Re: Viking Longship