 Pirates / 4361
Re: Viking Longship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, lugnet.boats
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:45:05 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

   In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:

   Nice! And the parchment paper is a great idea... I’m already stealing one of your tricks for a boat I’m working on, and this makes two.

Thanks, Mark!

I’ve done a few vessels with real cloth sails, and I have to say that the paper is better looking, easier to work with, and holds its shape better.

   One of those striped canopies would look good - are those historically accurate?

Absolutely! Probably not while under sail though. ;-)

Stupid question - why not?

All the references that I’ve seen have awnings like that used whilst at anchor... there are probably exceptions, though. The awning would be in the way for any sailhandling, and I wonder if the arm wasn’t used to support the ridge of the awning, at least sometimes...

But, if you’re happy with horned helmets (as I am!), a canopy shouldn’t be a problem.

(xposted to .boats)

Cheers

Richie Dulin