 Pirates / 4365
Re: Viking Longship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.boats
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:51:18 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   One of those striped canopies would look good - are those historically accurate?

Absolutely! Probably not while under sail though. ;-)

Stupid question - why not?

All the references that I’ve seen have awnings like that used whilst at anchor... there are probably exceptions, though. The awning would be in the way for any sailhandling, and I wonder if the arm wasn’t used to support the ridge of the awning, at least sometimes...

Interesting. (thanks for the “stupid” question, Mark. I was wondering too.)

I’ve felt funny planning a prominant “front end” to my boat because I read that they made them to travel in either direction (hence the mast being positioned dead center). But I bet if I read more, and follow the suggested links thoroughly, I’ll discover that the larger ones didn’t need so much delicate navigability because they weren’t used in such swampy areas. Incidentally, did you know that Europe became one degree warmer at that time, thereby melting ice and flooding many parts of Scaninavia? That’s why the people moved so much!

-Suz