 Pirates / 4354
  Viking Longship

Ahoy pirate fans and well met castle fans, The Vikings sets are vool, but after visiting the Vikings Exhibition at the Australian National Maritime Museum in January, I decided to experiment with building some more accurate (after a fashion), viking (...) (18 years ago, 12-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.boats, FTX) !!

  Re: Viking Longship

(...) snip (...) Nice! And the parchment paper is a great idea... I'm already stealing one of your tricks for a boat I'm working on, and this makes two. One of those (URL) striped canopies> would look good - are those historically accurate? Marc (...) (18 years ago, 12-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Viking Longship

(...) Thanks, Mark! I've done a few vessels with real cloth sails, and I have to say that the paper is better looking, easier to work with, and holds its shape better. (...) Absolutely! Probably not while under sail though. ;-) Cheers Richie Dulin (18 years ago, 12-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Viking Longship

(...) Fabulous! This is funny timing because I'm in the middle of researching Viking ships now for a BrikWars game. (In fact, If you could recommend good links to Viking info online, I'd really appreciate it.) (...) [snip] Really? cool. I was (...) (18 years ago, 12-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Longship

(...) Here are some links for more info: Intact viking ship with data and links to other ships (Swedish site): (URL) (new and ancient) and pictures of newly made ships (also in Swedish, with part ot the text in english): (URL) collection with many (...) (18 years ago, 12-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Longship

(...) Stupid question - why not? Marc Nelson Jr. (URL) Marc's Creations>> (18 years ago, 12-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Viking Longship

(...) All the references that I've seen have awnings like that used whilst at anchor... there are probably exceptions, though. The awning would be in the way for any sailhandling, and I wonder if the arm wasn't used to support the ridge of the (...) (18 years ago, 12-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, lugnet.boats, FTX)

  Re: Viking Longship

(...) SNIP (...) Well done, Richie! It looks great with all those oars. My own longship project is limited to 4 oars per side because..it's all I have. :) (...) They look great; I'd love to pick up a couple more copies of this set to fill out my (...) (18 years ago, 12-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Viking Longship

In lugnet.pirates, Suzanne Rich wrote: <SNIP> (...) Agreed! I have to chuckle, too, as I've got a half completed rework of my own long ship sitting on my work bench. I hope to complete this week to also share. SNIP (...) The set's scale is close, (...) (18 years ago, 12-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Longship

(...) Here is a link to Viking ships I made over a couple of years ago from just bricks. Each Longboat holds about 40 minifigs. I do own one of the new Longships and I have modified it by taking out the catapult and reworking the back tower. (URL) (...) (18 years ago, 12-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle)

  Re: Viking Longship

(...) Interesting. (thanks for the "stupid" question, Mark. I was wondering too.) I've felt funny planning a prominant "front end" to my boat because I read that they made them to travel in either direction (hence the mast being positioned dead (...) (18 years ago, 12-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.boats, FTX)

  Re: Viking Longship

(...) (URL) This link>, given by Joel Jacobsen, says: At night, the sail was lowered and removed from the ship. In bad weather, it often served as a tent. The Vikings, inventors of the sleeping bag, would sleep under the sail for protection. So the (...) (18 years ago, 13-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.boats, FTX)

  Re: Viking Longship

(...) According to Tim Severin, in Odinn's Son (a work of fiction, but TS is a noted maritime historian), wealthier vikings had a specially tailored canopy. But for the most part, yes, it would have been the sail. Cheers Richie Dulin (18 years ago, 13-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.boats, FTX)

  Re: Viking Longship

Excellent work Mr. Richie, now all you need is a port to sack and women to haul away. -Keith (It's all about the plunder) (18 years ago, 13-Apr-06, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, FTX)