 Pirates / 4363
Re: Viking Longship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:48:57 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Suzanne Rich wrote:

<SNIP>

Fabulous!

This is funny timing because I'm in the middle of researching Viking ships
now for a BrikWars game. (In fact, If you could recommend good links to
Viking info online, I'd really appreciate it.)

Agreed!

I have to chuckle, too, as I've got a half completed rework of my own long ship
sitting on my work bench. I hope to complete this week to also share.

SNIP

Really?  cool. I was wondering about those dimensions. At first I thought
the ship (as LEGO designed it) might be abnormally wide, but then I read that
the Vikings sometimes brought horses with them on board, so I figure it must
be reasonable. Heh, I'm glad as this means I don't need to buy another ship
for its mid-section!

The set's scale is close, from what I've been able to tell (as in my first link
below), for a Drakkar style longship. But then, "proper" length seems to be
subjective as I came across references stating that the largest longship
discovered was over 70m long.

No post or article about vikings would be complete without a mention of the
inaccuracy of the horned helmets, so this is it.

Ha! Yes! I've been wondering how to break this news to my teammates. :-) >They'll be so sad.

But the helms are so much *fun* they have to be authentic. right?? ;-)

I read in a book that the oarsmen sat on chests containing their
possessions. I  figure I'll try to incorporate that somehow in my model when
I build it. From your pictures, I can't tell if you did that too. The
overlapping shields look great. And I also like the paper sail. very nice.

I've found treasure chests are just a bit too big but do seem to achieve the
desired effect well enough for my own satisfaction. They stow well alongside the
oarlocks when not in use, giving room to pass by then either side of the mast.

Here are a few links I found useful for my own work:

http://www.gaia.no/crew/images/filmbild.html - some interesting movie related
images showing gear on board a replica Viking ship about the scale of the LEGO
hull. It also shows replicas of the chests that were used as rowing seats and
some great shots of supplies and stores.

http://www.cdli.ca/CITE/v_drakkar.htm - some good info on ship types, nagivation
etc. with a few decent pictures.

You will share your Brikwars design, right? :)

JJ