 Pirates / 2007
2006  |  2008
Subject:
Calling Frank and Lego Direct Out! (was Re: Puerto Bonita)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 01:43:19 GMT

I apologize in advance for hijacking the thread about your wonderful MOC,
Jon, but...

=)

In lugnet.pirates, Jon Furman writes:
Frank Filz always outbids me at the last second whenever I try to get more
yellow!

I am probably the last person who should express this, especially since I am
about to go into a "lego-hibernation" for a few months and therefore Castle
Blacktron's full unveiling will be delayed by at least that much, but what
does Frank do with it all? It's not like I have seen the guy share something
as splendid as Puerto Bonita...and if he doesn't share something pretty damn
cool AND soon, then I DO kind of resent his competition with "true" builders
for elements! He must budget in excess of $1k a month for lego or something,
AND for what...?

The only relief I found was to play "jack-up the price" with Frank by
searching items by bidder -- "ffilz" and then doing the obvious (and I
invite others to play this game also!).  Sometimes I had the benefit of
winning the items instead, especially if Frank was bidding by proxy only.
And in case you wondered, I did actually try to reason with him once and
arrange for things so that we would not compete against each other
pointlessly (presuming we were the two most likely to bid something up) --
but he wouldn't back off of anything.  So that's how Frank ended up on my
eBay s**tlist...he does annoyingly bid certain items up to a ridiculous
price, and seems to be on some weird quest to own 10 of everything Lego ever
made.  All that comes to mind is the word "sublimation"...if he has to win
at those prices, let him win! He seems to take some perverse pleasure in his
large lego collection and eBay habits anyway...

But this kind of stupid auction competition also just makes me mad at TLC
for not making bulk better and a lot more quickly.  This is probably the
wrong time to bring up Sanjay's "Secrets of Bulk Ordering", but if one
rereads the thread one discovers that Lego Direct's current offerings are
appallingly bland compared to what some people have been lavished with bulk
order wise previously. And I don't even resent Sanjay's score, but why can't
bulk ordering be handled in "something" like the manner Sanjay described?  I
have had cause to recently discuss these matters with another "serious"
builder, who shall remain nameless, and we both agreed that one has to
wonder at our personal motivations for sticking with this silly hobby --
what, with TLC's bulk ordering STILL being so paltry.

For myself, I am spending a lot of time reevaluating my position on Lego and
playing lately -- I don't have to be the biggest fish in this Lugnet pond,
but I do want to be able to build what I want to build without having to
wait forever to get the needed elements through competitive auctions like
eBay, or even at collector prices on Brickbay, Baylit, etc.  When one
scrutinizes one's Lego spending and so on, it does beg questions...

...my personal questions have a LOT do with traditional art techniques and
materials.  People may ask why Craig Hamilton has disappeared from Lugnet.
Perhaps we should ask why he was ever here to begin with?  Anyone with
traditional art skills should have their head examined for playing with
these bricks at this cost and level of frustration. Ah well...

I am reminded of how much fun it is to just draw with paper and a common #2
pencil! Hear me, TLC?  That's fun...!

The first rule of business is to K.I.S.S. -- Keep It Simple Stupid! Keeping
it economical wouldn't hurt you any either...

Hugs and kisses,

Hop-Frog

(just when you thought I had become a kinder and gentler Hop-Frog! NO!)