 Pirates / 1614
Subject:
What is the best Pirate set ever?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 04:54:27 GMT

Now we all know that the Black Seas barracuda will represent itself very
well here,  It is the first flagship set, and one of the most detailed.  But
I want to know who really likes what out there?  There are some great sets
in every pirate year, but which one do you love personally?  Why?  Is it for
the  parts, is it for the figures?  Is it for the playability, Innate
coolness, bang for the buck?  Who loves the small sets? Lets hear some
chatter out there!

My personal fave has got to be the Eldorado Fortress!  I mean never mind the
fact that there is no place for the soldiers to eat, sleep or live, it has
got great parts(yellow castle walls!)(Darn that Frank Filz for outbidding my
sloppy sniper attempt today! JK!!) It's got shooting cannons!  It's got 6
soldier figs! a perfect ratio of officers and enlisted men ,Including
Governor Broadside!  Lets talk playability here, It's got a crane, and a
cellar to store stuff in.  Plus for coolness, you've gotta love that rifle
covering the front ramp!  And don't even get me started on that clear wine
glass!  It's such a cool set that I don't even mind that lame dock!

Wheweee!  Don't even get me started on Sabre Island (Cheap source of wall
and soldiers, even a palm tree to boot), or the Trading post (gotta love the
merchant ship)You see what I mean?  This is just the tip of the iceberg!  I
want to know why people love the crossbone clipper too!  (someone has too!)

Lets talk!  Jon

Re: What is the best Pirate set ever?
Now we all know that the Black Seas barracuda will represent itself very
well here,  It is the first flagship set, and one of the most detailed.  But
I want to know who really likes what out there?  There are some great sets
in every pirate year, but which one do you love personally?  Why?  Is it for
the  parts, is it for the figures?  Is it for the playability, Innate
coolness, bang for the buck?  Who loves the small sets? Lets hear some
chatter out there!

It's always a tossup between 6285 Black Seas Barracuda and 6277 Imperial
Trading Post for me. 6285 is absolutely the best ship, and what would
pirates be without ships. On the other hand, 6277 is a beautiful little
port with a nifty little merchant ship (the pirates need something to
capture). Additionally, that little merchant ship features prominently
in Evil Stevie's Pirate Game as the ship pirates start with if playing
the campaign game.

My personal fave has got to be the Eldorado Fortress!  I mean never mind the
fact that there is no place for the soldiers to eat, sleep or live, it has
got great parts(yellow castle walls!)(Darn that Frank Filz for outbidding my
sloppy sniper attempt today! JK!!) It's got shooting cannons!  It's got 6
soldier figs! a perfect ratio of officers and enlisted men ,Including
Governor Broadside!  Lets talk playability here, It's got a crane, and a
cellar to store stuff in.  Plus for coolness, you've gotta love that rifle
covering the front ramp!  And don't even get me started on that clear wine
glass!  It's such a cool set that I don't even mind that lame dock!

6276 Eldorado Fortess is definitely a nice set.

Wheweee!  Don't even get me started on Sabre Island (Cheap source of wall
and soldiers, even a palm tree to boot), or the Trading post (gotta love the
merchant ship)You see what I mean?  This is just the tip of the iceberg!  I
want to know why people love the crossbone clipper too!  (someone has too!)

For the smaller sets, Sabre Island is very nice.

Ultimately, when it comes down to it, I like almost all of the pirate
sets. The later ones are not as well designed, but the concepts are
still good.

Frank

Re: What is the best Pirate set ever?
Now we all know that the Black Seas barracuda will represent itself very
well here,  It is the first flagship set, and one of the most detailed.  But
I want to know who really likes what out there?  There are some great sets
in every pirate year, but which one do you love personally?  Why?  Is it for
the  parts, is it for the figures?  Is it for the playability, Innate
coolness, bang for the buck?  Who loves the small sets? Lets hear some
chatter out there!

While I do love my BSB, I'd have to agree with Frank's earlier post about
the Trading Post.  Great base with the small ship that ties into Evil
Stevie's Pirate Game, which is why I started buying Legos at 25.

My personal fave has got to be the Eldorado Fortress!  I mean never mind the
fact that there is no place for the soldiers to eat, sleep or live, it has
got great parts(yellow castle walls!)(Darn that Frank Filz for outbidding my
sloppy sniper attempt today! JK!!) It's got shooting cannons!  It's got 6
soldier figs! a perfect ratio of officers and enlisted men ,Including
Governor Broadside!  Lets talk playability here, It's got a crane, and a
cellar to store stuff in.  Plus for coolness, you've gotta love that rifle
covering the front ramp!  And don't even get me started on that clear wine
glass!  It's such a cool set that I don't even mind that lame dock!

The friend that gave (yes, gave!) me my BSB also has an El Dorado, and I
think it's a great target...I mean base for all of the soldiers.  When I do
get around to setting up a Pirate game (note to self: ESPG, new
acronym?)he'll be manning the fortress walls with its shooting cannons!

Wheweee!  Don't even get me started on Sabre Island (Cheap source of wall
and soldiers, even a palm tree to boot), or the Trading post (gotta love the
merchant ship)You see what I mean?  This is just the tip of the iceberg!  I
want to know why people love the crossbone clipper too!  (someone has too!)

For small sets, I'll with the small Shipwreck Island: 6260.  It's the only
set I bought when it was new, just on a lark.  I set it on a shelf in my
room and it stayed there until years later when I started my new hobby.  I
like the fact it comes with a cannon, palm tree, two figs, and a nice plate
you can put anywhere in the ocean to maroon any Jar-Jar or Timmy...I mean
traitorous pirate.  Yeah, that's what I meant.

Lets talk!  Jon

Great to get a discussion going!
Sean

Re: What is the best Pirate set ever?
Now we all know that the Black Seas barracuda will represent itself very
well here,  It is the first flagship set, and one of the most detailed.  But
I want to know who really likes what out there?  There are some great sets
in every pirate year, but which one do you love personally?  Why?  Is it for
the  parts, is it for the figures?  Is it for the playability, Innate
coolness, bang for the buck?  Who loves the small sets? Lets hear some
chatter out there!

I personally don't own a copy of the Black Seas Barracuda, though I think
its probably the best.

Of the sets I own, I think Shipwreck Island is about the best. Its just a
nice looking little set.

The Imperial Trading Post is also a nice set, but could have been a little
better. I do like the merchant ship that come with it, and it had a whole
lot of people.

Caribbean Clipper is also one of my favorites but that's because my
Grandparents got it for me.

Anyway just my two cents
Steve

Re: What is the best Pirate set ever?
Now we all know that the Black Seas barracuda will represent itself very
well here,  It is the first flagship set, and one of the most detailed.  But
I want to know who really likes what out there?  There are some great sets
in every pirate year, but which one do you love personally?  Why?  Is it for
the  parts, is it for the figures?  Is it for the playability, Innate
coolness, bang for the buck?  Who loves the small sets? Lets hear some
chatter out there!

Most of the mid-size to large Imperial sets.  Cannon Cove, Sabre Island,
Imperial Trading Post, El Dorado Fortress are all sets I like on one level
or another.  The Trading Post is my favorite outside of the BSB.

[...]

I find the Crossbone Clipper pathetic.  It's the only pirates line ship that
I actively dislike.  I like some better than others, but overall I like
every ship except this one.  It takes a fair amount of parts to convert it
into anything respectable.  The best thing I can say for it is that it
inspires you to build MOC pirate ships.  :-)

Bruce

In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Jon Furman writes:

This is just the tip of the iceberg!  I
want to know why people love the crossbone clipper too!  (someone has too!)

I find the Crossbone Clipper pathetic.  It's the only pirates line ship that
I actively dislike.  I like some better than others, but overall I like
every ship except this one.  It takes a fair amount of parts to convert it
into anything respectable.  The best thing I can say for it is that it
inspires you to build MOC pirate ships.

The best thing I can say for it is that it's a relatively cheap source of the
Priate Wench minifig.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not my favorite set or anything, but the
presence of the Wench raises it a few notches in my estimation.

eric

Re: What is the best Pirate set ever?
In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Jon Furman writes:

This is just the tip of the iceberg!  I
want to know why people love the crossbone clipper too!  (someone has too!)

I find the Crossbone Clipper pathetic.  It's the only pirates line ship that
I actively dislike.  I like some better than others, but overall I like
every ship except this one.  It takes a fair amount of parts to convert it
into anything respectable.  The best thing I can say for it is that it
inspires you to build MOC pirate ships.

The best thing I can say for it is that it's a relatively cheap source of the
Priate Wench minifig.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not my favorite set or anything, but the
presence of the Wench raises it a few notches in my estimation.

The wench helps, but I find her pretty easy to get in eBay lots. I've
got two 6250s and don't really have a desire to get more. Had it had a
center section of course I would have been buying them up as fast as
6280s. If I had a little more luck with separating the deck from the
hull on the bow and stern pieces, I'd be interested in a few more for
more color combinations (brown and green would look nice as would white
and green, and what the heck, why not dark grey and green - which also
lets you have an all black ship...)

--
Frank Filz

-----------------------------
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com

Re: What is the best Pirate set ever?
If I had a little more luck with separating the deck from the
hull on the bow and stern pieces, I'd be interested in a few more for
more color combinations (brown and green would look nice as would white
and green, and what the heck, why not dark grey and green - which also
lets you have an all black ship...)

I seperated a whole bunch of these and screwed them back together in a
variety of ways, but I was just looking at the hulls and must confess I
don't remember how I did it!

Bruce

Re: What is the best Pirate set ever?
In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Frank Filz writes:

If I had a little more luck with separating the deck from the
hull on the bow and stern pieces, I'd be interested in a few more for
more color combinations (brown and green would look nice as would white
and green, and what the heck, why not dark grey and green - which also
lets you have an all black ship...)

I seperated a whole bunch of these and screwed them back together in a
variety of ways, but I was just looking at the hulls and must confess I
don't remember how I did it!

   "I'd had a lot to drink that night, and one thing led to
    another..."  :)  "It was all haywire...cats and dogs sleeping
    together, folks reassembling Pirate hulls..."

   Perhaps it was just that Bruce Magic.  I'd love to know how
   you did it, too!  I thought there was some kind of pinch-latch
   as well as the screws, else a hidden screw in the extremities
   of the piece.

   best

   LFB

[...]

I agree that the Pirate series had some real shining examples of what TLC
can do, but my personal favs are two and in-seperable:  6277 Imperial
Trading Post and 6286 Skull's Eye Schooner.  Man I could go on ALL DAY about
why they are great sets, I first played with them when I was 20 years old
and loved them so much that I went out and bought my own!  They are in my
opinion "THE BEST" for overal detail, playability, parts, people,
role-playing, display and on and on...
Those two sets caused me to emerge from my Dark Age and increase my brick
stock by 95% to date.  If LEGO would just reintroduce all those old Pirate
sets, methinks they'ed start seeing profits go up sharply.
Aaron

[...]

I tend to agree with you Aaron!  There's also one set that I think is
overlooked.  That is set 6273 the "Rock Island Refuge!"  I love the concept
for this set.  I like the idea of Pirates having their secret hideout.  I
wish they had done more along this line including a town for the Pirates!
I also think Lego should do more Sailing Vessels!  One thing the Pirate line
is missing is just a plain ole shipping vessel to plunder.  There had to
have been more of those than pirate and guard vessels around!
ahhh, wishful dreaming!
Tom

Re: What is the best Pirate set ever?
If I had a little more luck with separating the deck from the
hull on the bow and stern pieces, I'd be interested in a few more for
more color combinations (brown and green would look nice as would white
and green, and what the heck, why not dark grey and green - which also
lets you have an all black ship...)

I seperated a whole bunch of these and screwed them back together in a
variety of ways, but I was just looking at the hulls and must confess I
don't remember how I did it!

I've been able to separate a few trivially, but all the rest that I've
tried on have resisted all efforts and I haven't been willing to force
it. Someone once mentioned making a pry tool, but I've tried a few
things (including carefully placed screw drivers). I've wondered if
there's a sonic weld or glue which happens to be of varying strength
(though I didn't notice any sign of such on the pieces I was able to
separate).

Frank

[...]

I'm thinking it's a sonic weld which sometimes doesn't get made at all.
I've tugged and pulled and yanked and pried (gently) some hulls and
never got them to budge, on the other hand, the 6268 hull I just washed
the other week practically just fell apart after I removed the screws. I
need to go through my hulls and see what parts I have which do come
apart so I can do some mixing and matching.

--
Frank Filz

[...]

I have a brown hull with a green deck, so I know I didn't dream it.

Bruce