 Parts / 393
Re: How do *you* clean your LEGO parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 02:54:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jordan Bradford wrote:
I don't think LUGNET has had any discussions about this in quite some time.

How do -you- clean your LEGO parts?

LEGO that's been on display just a short time can be cleaned with compressed
air. But for displays that have been sitting out for long periods, the dust
tends to stick, so you need to get more aggressive.

I use a simple paint brush to clean off display dust.  I've found that the kind
with fairly soft bristles work pretty well.  The brush I use most often is about
2½" wide.

Then there's the issue of cleaning large quantities of parts that you bought
from your neighbor's garage/rummage sale or from eBay. I'm always concerned
about how dusty/sticky/whatever those foreign parts could be.

How do you dry them after they're cleaned? Water usually stays trapped
in the small crevices because of surface tension and takes forever to
evaporate. This can also leave soap marks.

Like others have said, soapy water works well.  I have a large bowl that I put
the LEGOs in.  I let them sit in the soapy water for several hours, stirring
every so often.  Then I dump them into a colander and spray rinse them several
times.  If the parts are ones with deep crevices &/or cavities, I give them a
full water-only soak in the bowl before the colander rinse.

You're right that water can get trapped in the crevices.  You can set them out
on a towel to dry.  Once they're dry except for the water in the crevices, pull
up the corners of the towel like a hobo bag and shake them around, then let them
dry again.

David