 General / 54551
54550  |  54552
Subject:
How do -you- clean your LEGO parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.parts
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:21:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I don't think LUGNET has had any discussions about this in quite some time.

How do -you- clean your LEGO parts?

I'm interested in learning people's techniques, particularly ones that clean a
lot of parts at once with little effort.

LEGO that's been on display just a short time can be cleaned with compressed
air. But for displays that have been sitting out for long periods, the dust
tends to stick, so you need to get more aggressive.

Then there's the issue of cleaning large quantities of parts that you bought
from your neighbor's garage/rummage sale or from eBay. I'm always concerned
about how dusty/sticky/whatever those foreign parts could be.

How do you dry them after they're cleaned? Water usually stays trapped in the
small crevices because of surface tension and takes forever to evaporate. This
can also leave soap marks.

I've tried the warm soapy water and toothbrush method and the
swish-around-in-a-bathtub method, but they're both time-consuming and hard to do
with small pieces. It seems to me that using a washing machine or a dishwasher
could work, but I've never tried it due to scratches the parts could acquire and
potential heat issues.