 General / 54551
Subject:
How do -you- clean your LEGO parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.parts
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:21:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I don't think LUGNET has had any discussions about this in quite some time.

How do -you- clean your LEGO parts?

I'm interested in learning people's techniques, particularly ones that clean a
lot of parts at once with little effort.

LEGO that's been on display just a short time can be cleaned with compressed
air. But for displays that have been sitting out for long periods, the dust
tends to stick, so you need to get more aggressive.

Then there's the issue of cleaning large quantities of parts that you bought
from your neighbor's garage/rummage sale or from eBay. I'm always concerned
about how dusty/sticky/whatever those foreign parts could be.

How do you dry them after they're cleaned? Water usually stays trapped in the
small crevices because of surface tension and takes forever to evaporate. This
can also leave soap marks.

I've tried the warm soapy water and toothbrush method and the
swish-around-in-a-bathtub method, but they're both time-consuming and hard to do
with small pieces. It seems to me that using a washing machine or a dishwasher
could work, but I've never tried it due to scratches the parts could acquire and
potential heat issues.

Re: How do -you- clean your LEGO parts?
In lugnet.general, Jordan Bradford wrote:
[...]

Tooth brush is what I use to be very careful, and an old electric tooth brush.
For large amounts I use the dish washer on delicate, cold water, bricks in a
girly stuff bag, no drying.  I take them out and put them under a fan after
laying them out on a  paper towl.  Works real well for me and no drying marks
left.  For really dirty parts I toss them out, as time is worth more than the
parts.
John P

Re: How do -you- clean your LEGO parts?