 Parts / 391
Re: How do -you- clean your LEGO parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:56:54 GMT

Jordan Bradford wrote:
I don't think LUGNET has had any discussions about this in quite some
time.

How do -you- clean your LEGO parts?

I'm interested in learning people's techniques, particularly ones
that clean a lot of parts at once with little effort.

LEGO that's been on display just a short time can be cleaned with
compressed air. But for displays that have been sitting out for long
periods, the dust tends to stick, so you need to get more aggressive.

Then there's the issue of cleaning large quantities of parts that you
bought from your neighbor's garage/rummage sale or from eBay. I'm
always concerned about how dusty/sticky/whatever those foreign parts
could be.

How do you dry them after they're cleaned? Water usually stays
trapped in the small crevices because of surface tension and takes
forever to evaporate. This can also leave soap marks.

I've tried the warm soapy water and toothbrush method and the
swish-around-in-a-bathtub method, but they're both time-consuming and
hard to do with small pieces. It seems to me that using a washing
machine or a dishwasher could work, but I've never tried it due to
scratches the parts could acquire and potential heat issues.

I've always washed my parts in soapy water. I will usually put the parts in
a bucket of soapy water at least overnight (sometimes several days). I
separate out the chrome and stickered parts. I usually do some sorting, with
the tiny parts and most interesting parts washed in a large plastic
container with a lid (such as a large peanut or cookie container, about a
gallon in size with a 6" lid, preferably round). The round container allows
good swishing of these parts.

After a good soak, parts are then washed a 2nd time in warm soapy water. As
I wash the parts, I watch for things that need an extra scrub. The parts are
rinsed and drained in a wire mesh colander and then dumped on a thick bath
towel. I pick up the corners of the bath towel (to make a sack) and give the
parts a good tumbling to drain them off more.

Then parts get laid out on towel covered trays, shaking larger parts out to
get any last water out. I then set the trays in the sun (out on the deck in
nice weather, otherwise near a window). As I lay the parts out, some will
need additional cleaning. Sometimes I will take the parts back to the sink
and use a toothbrush, other times they will go back in to soak. Some parts
may need to be turned or given another shake after a period of drying.

If parts smell smoky, the soak is in anti-bacterial soap, otherwise I just
use liquid dish soap.

As to cleaning dusty MOCs, if they need more than a simple brushing or
vacuum, then you may need to disassemble and go through the soak process, or
you might be able to soak the entire MOC.

Frank