Re: Just got back from GATS...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:30:24 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Amy Hughes writes:
In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Larry Pieniazek writes:
the edges of the roadplates end up being wasted space, because the
building is built in the middle of another baseplate. Some sort of
modular approach might well clear that up, if you knew that it was
YOUR roadway you could build out onto it

I'm not so sure crowding our buildings together is a good idea, for two
reasons...

1) Our downtown is more like a modern, built-for-cars "edge city", e.g.
Southfield, rather than a classic, built-for-people downtown, e.g. Ann Arbor.

I agree i think they are close enough and with the sidwalks we put down i
thought the downtown AND the strip malls looked good.
2) The space between buildings allows people to see the buildings that aren't
on the edge of the display.

Yep,very good point,
I'd like to have a classic downtown, though. Many cities now have two centers -
the classic downtown area, and the edge city area, with chain restaurants,
malls, strip malls, sprawl-marts and office buildings.

Amy