 Organizations / GLUG / * (-20)
Re: Gamelug.org renewal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:53:48 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.org.glug, Mike Rayhawk wrote:
In lugnet.org.glug, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.org.glug, Mike Rayhawk wrote:
Registration renewal for gamelug.org is coming up next month, is
anyone still using this?  Or should I let it lapse?

Don't let it lapse! We'll pass the hat if we have to. In my view,
it's a good thing to have, but we mostly use the yahoo group for
planning and stuff.

The money's not a problem, hosting is pretty cheap.  It's just that
it looks like the site's sole function for the last two years has
been to plug GLUG's 'upcoming' Gen Con meeting for July 2003.

True. (well, not "sole", there are a few links there too, but ya) I
think that's because no one has the bandwidth to take on putting more
content there. I still think it's a good domain to hold on to. Let's
take this to the list, maybe someone could be persuaded to at least
update to GenCon 2005 and put in some info about the org...

Good plan. Of course if the money is coming out of Mike's pocket, we should
pass the hat...

Frank

Re: Gamelug.org renewal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:12:28 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:05:59 GMT

In lugnet.org.glug, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.org.glug, Mike Rayhawk wrote:
Registration renewal for gamelug.org is coming up next month, is anyone still
using this?  Or should I let it lapse?

Don't let it lapse! We'll pass the hat if we have to. In my view, it's a good
thing to have, but we mostly use the yahoo group for planning and stuff.

The money's not a problem, hosting is pretty cheap.  It's just that it looks
like the site's sole function for the last two years has been to plug GLUG's
'upcoming' Gen Con meeting for July 2003.

Re: Gamelug.org renewal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 06:29:09 GMT

In lugnet.org.glug, Mike Rayhawk wrote:
Registration renewal for gamelug.org is coming up next month, is anyone still
using this?  Or should I let it lapse?

Don't let it lapse! We'll pass the hat if we have to. In my view, it's a good
thing to have, but we mostly use the yahoo group for planning and stuff.

Subject:
Gamelug.org renewal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 05:42:22 GMT

Registration renewal for gamelug.org is coming up next month, is anyone still
using this?  Or should I let it lapse?

- Mike.

Subject:
Pictures of Gaming at Foundation Con - BrickQuest, ESPG, & More
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.events, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:12:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

MichLUG (in participation with GameLUG) ran a track of games at the Foundation Gaming Convention in Okemos, MI the weekend of September 25&26. Peter Guenther ran BrickQuest and BrickMech, while Larry Pieniazek ran ESPG and Brick Battles.

Event Report and More Pictures

Enjoy!

Jason Spears
MichLUG/MichLTC
http://www.michlug.org

Re: Lego Gamimg at Foundation GameCon in Okemos, MI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:47:30 GMT

Thanks Jason! Nice work on the schedule table too!

Xpost to lugnet.gaming as an FYI.

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Jason Spears wrote:
   MichLUG in participation with GameLUG will be running a track of games this weekend at the Foundation Gamimg Convention in Okemos, MI. Peter Guenther will be running BrickQuest and BrickMech. Larry Pieniazek (with help from Nik) will be running BrickBattles and ESPG. Admission to the convention is free, although playing in any of the Lego events will be $3 per player.

Here is the schedule:

Dates/Time:
   9am-11am
   12am-2pm
   2pm-4pm
   4pm-6pm
   7pm-9pm

Saturday, Sep 25th
   Brick Battles
   BrickQuest
   BrickQuest
   BrickQuest
   ESPG

Sunday, Sep 26th
   ---------
   BrickMech
   BrickMech
   ---------
   ---------

The Convention will be at the:
Okemos Holiday Inn Express
2187 University Park Dr
Okemos, MI. 48864-3975

Jason Spears
MichLUG/GameLUG

++Lar (excited to be running BrickBattles although I may be leaning on Nik for most of the combat resolution, he has more practice)

Subject:
Lego Gamimg at Foundation GameCon in Okemos, MI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:02:43 GMT

[...]

Subject:
BrickQuest and BrickMech at GenCon2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 02:19:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I just got back from GenCon 2004 and GLUG had a great showing there.  We pretty
much had at least one game scheduled for every hour of the Con and delivered
several hundred player-hours of brick-based gaming goodness.

My photos focus on BrickQuest and BrickMech, but include some of James Seibert's
sessions of BrikWars and James Brown's sessions of Brick Battles.  The photos
are up, after moderation, at:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=95821(day 1)
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=95822 (day 3)

A few highlights:
As soon as I saw the Prehistoric Creatures set, I knew I wanted to build a
dragon out of it.  I put it off and put it off, and ended up taking two copies
of the set to Indianapolis with me and building it in the hotel room the night
before the game.  The entire dragon is from pieces in that set (two copies)
except some of the black plates and hinges in the wings, which I made at home in
advance.  The dragon ended up being about twice the size I had originally wanted
(I only got the second copy of the set because I knew I'd need more
ball-and-socket hinges than one set had.)  I ended up telling people it was a
flightless cave dragon with just vestigial wings.

(WARNING: These photos are BIG.  I ran them through my PhotoShop reduce to 800,
medium quality JPG batch, but either it didn't do what it's supposed to or I'm
an idiot and zipped the wrong files.  Both are strong possibilities.)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/0408gencon/day1/p1010022.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/0408gencon/day1/p1010023.jpg

My BrickQuest sessions were two hours, so the dungeon was fairly modest:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/0408gencon/day1/p1010024.jpg

BrickMech is my game of modular mech combat; I think I've got most of the kinks
worked out now and people really had a lot of fun with it at the Con:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/0408gencon/day1/p1010025.jpg

I'll have rules and more of a website up for BrickMech within the next couple
weeks.

Frank Filz, Chris Weeks, Larry Pieniazek and James Seibert also ran a number of
Evil Stevie's Pirate games (multiple battle games and two campaign games), but
I'll let them say more about that.

Peter

Re: BrickFest Highlights from a "first timer."
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 03:06:35 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

LOL, Larry, so much for me protecting the innocent, or in your case, the not so
innocent.  Yes you are right, that was the state, and the place, and the ungodly
time was 11 pm. You will be happy to know, that even with my car unlocked and
the windows wide open, the mocs and luggage remained untouched.  It was fun
running into you again, and I mean that almost literally.  How's the trip going?

So far so good... Met up with Frank Filz, Chris Weeks, Peter Guenther and James
Seibel here in Indy and it looks like we have a good buzz building already for
GameLUG activities... lots of people popping by and going "oooh... LEGO!" and
suchlike...

xfut to lugnet.gaming

Subject:
BrickMech Spec
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:42:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Man, that's fun to say.  Say it out loud: BrickMech Spec!!!

I've got my prelimary thoughts on a spec for building modular Mechs for my
BrickMech game up at http://www.brickmech.com/brickmech/spec.htm  Look it over
and tell me what you think!  If it seems humorously technical, well then, four
years ago I had to create Interface Control Document training for GM engineers,
so it must have left me scarred.

Goals of the spec:
1. Enable others to build interchangeable parts (obviously)
2. Be specific enough that people aren't going to try to abuse it (although if
that happens, bam!  a faulty circuit breaker shuts down your Mech.)
3. Be flexible enough to allow lots of creativity.
4. Be limited enough that any example of a component can mate to any example of
a component it's supposed to mate with, no matter who built it.

Right now, the rules I'm working on allow players to pick up shoulders and/or
arms that survive a Mech's destruction.  The torso interface is not a game issue
but is an issue for providing lots of possibilities.

PLMKWYT!

Peter

Subject:
Modular Mini-Mechs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.space, lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 02:34:11 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

A while back I posted some Mechs I had made for my BrickMech Game:

This weekend, after running the game at Origins, I became inspired to build
modular mechs.  My goal is to create a system where players at Cons can quickly
build sturdy, interesting-looking mechs.  To that end I decided that a Mech was
made up of a leg assembly, a torso, two shoulders, and two arms.  (Having
separatable shoulders makes for many more possibilities with a pool of parts,
not to mention more weaponry.)

I've done a little bit of playing around and here's what I've got so far:

General picture:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/mechs/modular1/p1010004.jpg

Six components of one mech:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/mechs/modular1/p1010005.jpg

A second mech and its components:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/mechs/modular1/p1010006.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/mechs/modular1/p1010007.jpg

A third mech and its components:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/mechs/modular1/p1010008.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/mechs/modular1/p1010009.jpg

Some recombined mechs:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/mechs/modular1/p1010010.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/mechs/modular1/p1010011.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/mechs/modular1/p1010012.jpg

When recombining Mechs I didn't swap legs or torsos because their colors match.
Eventually I want to have 2-3 legs and torsos in each color to give even more
variety.

Also I'm new to the Magic Wand tool in PhotoShop so I apologize for some little
flaws in clipping out the backgrounds--and that the lighting wasn't right to
easily clip out the backgrounds in two photos.

There are lots and lots of arms, legs, shoulders, and torsos to build, so I'm
going to be busy for a while.

As for the game, I'm revising it based on Origins experiences and will probably
post rules in late July.

Peter

Re: Introduction..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 13:24:39 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.nj, Chris Mayer wrote:
Greetings!

Welcome!

I happened upon Lugnet while scouring the web for Lego sites.. I've recently
gotten back into Legos after a much-too-long hiatus.

Good deal.  I'm kind of back in hiatus mode right now, but I'll never lose my
interest in The Brick (particularly as it relates to games).

I was wondering if there's anyone out there who plays BrikWars, or
is interested in playing BrikWars

I spent a couple years suggesting a GardenSLUG BW game and there's basically no
one interested.  While putting out feelers at BrickFest, there were people from
WAMALUG and NELUG who were interested in getting together for a weekend-long
LEGO gaming event in our area.  So you _can_ put something like this together,
but you'll need to cast a wide net.

I'm getting my house ready for sale, my bricks are all in storage, and I'm
moving to Minnesota this summer, so I'm not really available, but good luck.

Oh, and if you're quite interested, GLUG (The Game-LEGO User Group) will have a
pretty strong showing at both national game cons this summer: GenCon in
Indianapolis and Origins in Columbus.  There will be Evil Stevie's Pirate Game,
BrikWars, Brick Battles, BrickQuest, perhaps Mechaton and more.

Chris

included l.o.g and set FUT l.l.u.n

Subject:
Last Minute OurCon Invite/Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:56:18 GMT

Just a reminder, Teddy Welsh and I will be setting up a Moonbase and Spaceship
display at OurCon at UMass, Amherst, MA, USA starting tomorrow (Saturday April
17th) at 9:AM through Sunday evening.  We are also seriously considering running
a game with the QuikWars variant of BrikWars using our display as the setting.
If anyone who can reach Western Massachusetts happens to find themselves with
nothing to do this weekend, come on by and check out the scene.  More info on
the Con and how to get there is at http://www.ourcon.org/

Cheers,
-Hendo

Subject:
Convention Season is Upon Us
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.gaming.brikwars, lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.org.us.indylug, lugnet.org.us.bloc
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:13:50 GMT

*****Recruiting all fellow Lego gamers, gamemasters, and lurkers******

Castle vs. Space, Space vs. Adventurers, Adventurers vs. Pirates, and Everyone
vs Timmy. .

The gaming convention season is cranking up. Last year we had a great time at
Gencon and this year plans are already underway for Origins and Gencon plus any
local conventions we can attend.

Don't forget Brickfest in August. Frank Filz runs a fantastic game of ESPG and
don't forget you will be surrounded by the best the Lego hobby has to offer.

I am also sending this message out to the LUGs in Ohio and Indiana, who may be
able to offer fellow gamers assistance and advice on their respective
conventions and locales. Besides, I hope they can bring more parts and MOC's
than we did last year. (Truck space was limited)

Special message to those who lurk in the shadows, I know who you are. You have
played in some of my games before so take the time to register and get your
keister in here and participate.

There is also a LEGO_Warfare group under Yahoo Groups
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LEGO_Warfare/

Try to keep convention dates and info in the GLUG newsgroup, so we have a
central repository of information.

So, stand up and be counted among the living, join today.

Subject:
Ourcon Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.events, lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.org.scibrick, lugnet.space, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 03:19:10 GMT

Hi all!

Just following up on things regarding OurCon in April. See my original post for details.

Currently, the organizers are pushing me hard for confirmation of Lego® related events at this. They are finalizing prepwork for their program printing and hope to include mention of Moonbases, Brikwars, Evil Stevie’s Pirate Game, or whatever my fellow AFOLs want to contribute that somehow fits into the themes of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or Gaming.

So I am calling on you to respond (my email address is above, less the anti-spam) if you have any interest at all. What we need an idea of is...

•Who might be interested in helping with which possible events?

•Would you like to run or help run a game of Brikwars?

•Would you like to run or help run a game of Evil Stevie’s Pirate Game?

As for Moonbases, I am willing to organize the display overall. I have my mods, and one participant offering to bring his. Everyone available is invited to add to my list for that display.

Again, just email me with any interest or questions.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who has offered comments or suggestions so far. And I look forward to making some of this turn into some Lego® fun!

FUT lugnet.events, because I am unsure if any single organization is sponsoring this event for AFOLs. (hint hint)

Play on!

-Hendo

Re: FWD: OurCon: BrickWars, Moonbases, Pirates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:30:46 GMT

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" wrote:

Hello GLUG!

A few of you might remember me from BrickFest this past year.  We met regarding
ways to try to have more events that included Lego® related gaming.  I am
currently involved in helping to organize just such a thing for OurCon, a local
gaming convention in Western Massachusetts.  To make a long story short, I refer
you to a post I just made to NELUG:

http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/nelug/?n=3040

You will note that in addition to BrickWars, I have hopes that perhaps someone
experienced with Evil Stevie's Pirate Game might be able to volunteer to run a
game.  Certainly, anyone who can make the trip who wants to play games with
Lego® is welcome.  Like the post says, if you have any interest at all, just
reply.  Frank, I did mention you by name, and of course you are invited!  I
don't know your availability though...

It would be fun to do, but I'm affraid I almost overdid the cross
country flying to cons and such last year, so I think I'll have to
decline. I sent you private e-mail in response to Larry's e-mail.

Frank

FWD: OurCon: BrickWars, Moonbases, Pirates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 03:17:05 GMT

Hello GLUG!

A few of you might remember me from BrickFest this past year.  We met regarding
ways to try to have more events that included Lego® related gaming.  I am
currently involved in helping to organize just such a thing for OurCon, a local
gaming convention in Western Massachusetts.  To make a long story short, I refer
you to a post I just made to NELUG:

http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/nelug/?n=3040

You will note that in addition to BrickWars, I have hopes that perhaps someone
experienced with Evil Stevie's Pirate Game might be able to volunteer to run a
game.  Certainly, anyone who can make the trip who wants to play games with
Lego® is welcome.  Like the post says, if you have any interest at all, just
reply.  Frank, I did mention you by name, and of course you are invited!  I
don't know your availability though...

Thanks for your time!  Arrrrrr!
-GM Hendo

Re: BrickFest PDX 2004 is coming soon and we need you!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 02:24:25 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Frank Filz wrote:
Frank Filz wrote:

I thought I'd add Castle to this call. Currently we don't have a Castle
coordinator for BrickFest PDX 2004 (if you're interested, contact Steve
Barile or me). In the interrim, I will start polling for interest.

Are you coming to BrickFest PDX 2004?

Hmm, I should also add when and where...

Portland Oregon
February 13-15 2004

Web site: http://pdx.brickfest.com/

Frank

Re: BrickFest PDX 2004 is coming soon and we need you!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:28:14 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

I thought I'd add Castle to this call. Currently we don't have a Castle
coordinator for BrickFest PDX 2004 (if you're interested, contact Steve
Barile or me). In the interrim, I will start polling for interest.

Are you coming to BrickFest PDX 2004?

Do you game?

Do you do Pirates?

I'm coordinating the gaming at BFPDX 2004. I will of course run a big
pirate game, but I'd also like to have some other games happen. Some
BrickWars would be great.

I will also host a gaming round table. These have been well received at
past cons.

While we don't specifically have a Pirate track, I'd like to encourage
any and all Pirate MOCs to be brought for display (or use in the game).
I intend to arrange for some display space for our MOCs. It might even
be fun to have a session or two. One cool thing would be a session on
how to build pirate ships with parts currently available given the slim
pickings for the Pirate theme.

One thought I have is to have a contest for best Pirate Game cutter
using current parts.

Another fun project could be to extend my modular wharf scene. It will
be used in the game attached to my Oregon Coast cliff scene (complete
with train for the pirates to hijack...), and it attaches to one end, so
it would be easy to extend. We could use it as a backdrop for an entire
side of the play area if we got wild (we could even continue the cliff
somehow if people were really psyched).

Frank

Thanks Frank for putting this on Lugnet.  I posted the same query to
Classic-Castle.com.

here is the link to the posting:

http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118

I hope this sheds a bit of light on the situation.

Ben Medinets

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact