OurCon Invite: BrickWars, Moonbases, Pirates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ma
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 03:07:14 GMT

Hi NELUG!

Hendo here, finally with an update from my friend who is running OurCon
(http://www.ourcon.org/).  He has emailed to say that registration for Game
Mastering and/or display organizing is now open for this event.  OurCon will run
April 16 - 18, 2004 at UMass, Amherst.

I have hopes that NELUG and/or some of its members will be interested in
participating on some level.  Among the things I would like to consider doing
for this event are:

1. Medieval Level BrickWars to attract the typical gamers at the con.

2. Moonbase/Space Display (with possible high tech BrickWars...maybe).

3. Evil Stevie's Pirate Game.

What we will need to do this would be:

1. For BrickWars, I will need someone willing to run such an event.  I am
willing to help coordinate contributors to the display.  But I have never played
the game and don't have a lot currently built.  Anyone interested in running a
game for this con?  Anyone interested in bringing MOCs for such?

2. For a Moonbase, I will need any and all interested Space builders to
bring...well...a Moonbase.  My five mods from BF are still intact.  (Psst,
Teddy...How's that giant space tampon doing?)  I also plan to ask SciBrick for
support on this.  Anyone interested in doing something Spacey?

3. For a Pirate Game, like with BW, I will need someone to volunteer to run the
game.  I suspect this won't happen unless Frank Filz is interested.  I plan to
ask GLUG for their support.  Just in case Frank has no interest, is there anyone
from NELUG interested in contributing to a Pirate Game?

Finally, I hope to grab as many free or discounted admissions as possible.  If
anyone volunteers to run a game, I believe I can get free admission for GMs if
registered before 12/01/03.  If I can convince people that our showing will
bring in people to the con, then maybe I can get additional free or discount
tickets.

This is a relatively small con (compared to say, GenCon).  But because they are
trying to get off the ground after a hiatus, they are looking for off-beat and
novel ideas to make a name for themselves.  I believe if we (we meaning the AFOL
community as a whole) can provide one or two or all three of my ideas then it
will be a great symbiotic opportunity for us.  It is a great chance to try
something with Space, Pirates, or Castle.

Again, if there is any interest whatsoever, please contact me or reply to one of
my Lugnet posts on the subject.

Happy Building,
-Hendo