 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 661
660  |  662
Subject:
NALUG a hit at the Great Edmonton Train Show Sept 22-23, 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:10:12 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Our train layout this last weekend was a great success, and we again
collected the 2nd place "people's choice" award.  Our major goal this year
was to have lots of automation, and I think we managed to acheive it.
Highlights include:

fully automated 3-bay roundhouse

working technic-scale boom crane (towering above the layout at ~9 feet, we
were the tallest thing in the hall)

gear-driven funicular climbing the side of the mountain

"power zones" for the trains had them automatically speeding up on the
straights, and slowing on corners and through the rail yard; it was a big
crowd pleaser.

... as well as some other moving things.

Lowlights would be the loooong setup time with finicky mechanisms (which
fortunately shouldn't be a problem next time; this was a shakedown cruise),
and the fire in the parking lot that had us evacutating the building
Saturday afternoon...

Pictures and mpgs available in my brickshelf gallery:
and Steve Chapple's brickshelf gallery:

...More to follow as people scan or download them and post them.

Enjoy,

James