 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 666
Re: NALUG a hit at the Great Edmonton Train Show Sept 22-23, 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:50:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, James Brown writes:
<snip>
<Nod nod>  It was certainly a design challenge, but the final effect was by
far worth it.  My only real suggestion (other than go with what works) would
be to keep your track farther apart than the standard 8-stud spacing that
LEGO track creates; especially if you're going around a corner, and running
8-wide trains. ;)  If you don't, you'll be running tight for support between
the tracks, and your mountain may decide to shear on the way to the show.
(this is why the track layout has the angle on the inside track - the
mountain I made for our previous show *did* shear on the way there...)

thanks,

James

Our (my) mountain has 16 studs between the tracks.  We did decide not to go
around a corner with it, so I don't have that pickle to deal with.  The inside
track has a 12 studs spacing, so most 8wides should get through with a
problem.  Hopefully I will be able to keep it strong enough that it stays
together for the show, I already have designed it so it spilts in two.  (I
actually did this orginally for weight, but I think it will weather the
transport better this way as well.

-Jason
http://www.geocities.com/spearjr/brickcentral.html