 Off-Topic / Debate / 26979
Re: what is ALE? (was Re: Brickshelf going away???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:07:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Rob Hendrix wrote:
   ALE is Adult Lego Enthusiast, a newer (and preferred by at least some) term over AFOL.

Renaming be damned! I like old-school, old-time.

To purists, I barely qualify as an “AFOL,” but even I agree that that term is preferable to “ALE.” AFOL has history behind it, and its creation was organic, rather than deliberate, and it therefore has greater aesthetic appeal to me on those grounds alone.

I don’t care if either is “easier” to pronounce--no one I know “pronounces” ETA, RSVP, or USA. “AFOL” is an abbreviation, not an acronym.

IMO (also an abbreviation rather than an acronym!), to call oneself an “enthusiast” is to make oneself sound hopelessly effete and snobbish. Heck, if we really want to sound self-important, why don’t we just call ourselves “Brights?”

   An AFOL who builds MOCs who also may be a Curmudgeon,

That’s “An AFOLWBMWAMBAC,” to you.

Dave!

Re: what is ALE?