 Marketplace / Shopping / 12528
Re: S@H on line pick a brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 01:49:10 GMT

"Sid Mark Dinsay" <onedaycnn@aol.com> wrote in message
news:J6uEFt.MJA@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.market.shopping, Jonathan Lopes wrote:
I don't recall seeing this anywhere.  Looks like through factory, you can
now
buy bricks w/o making a creation.

<http://shop.lego.com/department.asp?d=18&t=7>

Jonathan

This pricing system is a bit of a rip-off, if you think about the number
of the
same bricks that could be stuffed into those Lego cups.  As BrickLink puts
prices on some of these items to shame!  :-)

A few things to remember:

1.  TLG probably don't want to seen as making competition for BrickLink
users.

2.  TLG literally manufacture, bag, weigh, sort, and calculate the person's
order all in one highly tuned automated process, along with storage and
feeding of the raw materials needed to do the above.  How many BrickLink
store owners out there could come anywhere near to enough floorspace needed
to do this on their own?  I'd say a minimum of 2,000 sq ft would be needed
although that's only a small manufacturing shop compared to what TLG has.

3.  TLG ship the person's order to most countries for a set pricing range,
they also handle Customs, tax, etc.  Do BrickLink store owners do all this?
No, they let the Postal Authorities in the relevant countries handle it.

I could go on with a lot more, but that's the gist of it, for what you're
getting - literally, pristine condition plastic bricks that haven't been
handled for packing until you order them, and they haven't been sitting on
store shelves for months on end.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde