 Marketplace / Shopping / 12526
Re: S@H on line pick a brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 18:51:28 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   I wonder how many kids are going to make the mistake of mixing “earth blue” with “bright blue”. My heart skipped a beat momentarily with the “2x2 outside corner” bricks, only to be let down... they’re DARK BLUE. It’s not as though TLG has an entire 45 degree roof system (12 different slopes) available in dark blue.

Yeah, they’ve got almost enough to do a useful roof-- but no genuine peak pieces! (apart from )

On the plus side, you can sort of make do with what is available. With no peaks. And flimsy construction of concave corners that look a little off.

   And why on earth are the 2x6 bricks more expensive than the 2x8??? (25 cents versus 24 cents)

And of course the one that caught my eye was the 2x3 wing plates, which sell for $0.15 for the RIGHT side and $0.14 for the LEFT side!

   I really wish TLG would come out with an entire system (12 types) of 45 degree sloped bricks in a particular color besides red or black.

As I was thinking about this, I counted 14 types of 45 degree slopes, and realized there were a few things that still weren’t possible-- that is, if you’re trying to cap a roof whose span is an odd number of studs wide. Heck, when you get into bends at 1 or 3 studs wide, concave and convex slopes won’t always cut it either.

Looks like you can do almost anything with red, blue, black, and white slopes. And Old Gray, MdStone, Green, Dark Orange are pretty close.

Made me think, though-- what do you actually NEED in order to do pretty much anything? Like, you don’t need 2x8 slopes, 2x4 slopes, or 2x3 slopes, so long as you have 2x2’s and 2x1’s (you just may not be able to patch up all your brick seams). And I suppose while I’m being absurdly technical, if you’ve got 2x1’s you don’t technically need other regular slopes.

Hm... I guess there’s a host of wish-list parts in there that would make certain roofs possible!

DaveE