 Local / United States / Texas / San Antonio / 8
Re: Meeting in San Antonio...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tx.ant, lugnet.loc.us.tx, lugnet.loc.us.tx.hou, lugnet.loc.us.tx.dfw, lugnet.loc.us.tx.aus, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 02:52:33 GMT

My feelings on this are mixed; the last time I tried to give my honest
opinion on a proposal for a TEXLUG event, the results were not good.

That being stated, I agree with Tom (who I have actually met in person, so I
know he exists!) {;-) I believe we should stick to a twice-a-year schedule
like we've been doing, at least for the events in which all of TEXLUG is
expected to attend, just because the state in which we live is so bloody big
--budgets be damned; if I can make it to two events during a state of
seemingly endless unemployment, then I suspect most can as well...at least
for those one-day shots. And I still hold that we (San Antonio) host the
Spring 2004 meeting like Tom suggested (which we did as well at this
meeting, Tom).

If you still plan to go ahead with the June/July event, it would probably be
in the interest of TEXLUG and your budget to make it a local event, everyone
in TEXLUG being invited, of course. I may or may not make it
myself...although I live in San Antonio, I may be leaving town some time in
June for an excursion up north. Mark, of course, can make it provided
someone gives him and his bottle of 02 a lift to and from the event.

As for the theme, it's entirely your call at this point. I am limited on
castle/pirate stuff, and I am trying to build up that inventory for the Fall
2003 meeting. I think a repeat of Space would be the last thing we would
want, unless you're as fanatical about it as I (even then, I would bring far
less LEGO than last time). We did a kind of a
test-the-waters-and-bring-your-own theme at our first meeting at Jason
Spangler's house, so we might be up for another one of those. Or we could
also do Technic, something I am not that good at but suitably enthused about
nonetheless...unless a pinball machine operating on rubber bands and perhaps
5% gears is considered "Technic". It could be trains, too, something you
might want to think about actually, because the track and other accessories
are much easier to transport, and train layouts are always popular with the
curious onlookers. Or it could be as you suggested - any theme.

If you do decide to host at UTSA, we will need a campus map posted, of
course, preferably with access to a parking lot where we don't need to
"TEX"-lug our LEGO up massive flights of stone steps. I myself have not set
a hairy, clawed foot on the campus since 1995, and I know that the landscape
has changed dramatically.

Things to consider. By the way, email me at houghpt@yahoo.com and I'll shoot
you my number so we can talk more on this.

Pat