 Local / United States / Texas / San Antonio / 11
Re: Meeting in San Antonio...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tx.ant, lugnet.loc.us.tx, lugnet.loc.us.tx.hou, lugnet.loc.us.tx.dfw, lugnet.loc.us.tx.aus, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:04:48 GMT

Greetings Again,

As promised here is the information for the meeting.

TJ has been generous enough to make a page for the meeting on the TEXLUG site.

http://www.texlug.org/summer2003.html

~~~~~~
MindStorms (TM) Contests
~~~~~~
We will be having two types of MindStorms (TM) contests.

One, is the line following contest. (Sat, Time TBA)
For this contest you can just follow a line and stop when you see a solid
black octagon. Or better
yet you can program your robot to follow these rules:

http://www.ieee-neworleans.org/r5conf/robotics/IEEE-Robotics-Contest-Rules.pdf

There will be two types of races one for line following and one for line
following with symbol
recognition. We will be using the same layout for both competitions.

See the PDF link above to see the symbols and their meanings.

Two, a maze contest. (Sun, Time TBA)

IEEE - UTSA has a maze with white walls and a width of 8 inches. Your robot
will need to be able
to maneuver in less than 8 inches square in order to make the turns. I'll
try and post a picture if I
can get a camera in time. The only other thing I think you would need to
know is that the walls
are 6 inches high.

There will be a total of 6 prizes.

1.) Fastest Line Follower
2.) Fastest Line Following Pattern Recognizer

3.) Most Creative Construction of a Line Follower (it must follow the line
for a little while)
4.) Most Creative Construction of a Line Following Pattern Recognizer (it
must recognize one
pattern)

5.) Fastest Maze Runner

6.) Most Creative Construction of a Maze Runner (it must complete the maze)

The "Most Creative" awards will be voted on by all/any that attend. Via a
ballot system.

These will be timed events so if you have stopwatch and/or would like to
judge the races please
let me know.

~~~~~~
ROOM Details:
~~~~~~

Layout of the room is as follows:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=crmacd

You will have to navigate once they authorize the directory. Any other
layout information will be
posted as soon as I get it.

The street address for the location:
College of Business
The University of Texas at San Antonio
6900 North Loop 1604 West
San Antonio, TX 78249-0631

Here is a campus map the Business Building is the gray building with the
number 2.
http://www.utsa.edu/site/ne.html
Closest parking will be in Lot 4 in the orange section. Or Lot 3 for a
little walk.

The room is on the 2nd floor of the building.
http://business.utsa.edu/images/maps/BB_Floor_2.gif

The best way to load and unload would be to come down John Peace Blvd. Park
in from of the
business building near the visitors center. And take the elevators to the
2nd floor or the stairs.
http://business.utsa.edu/images/maps/BB_Floor_1.gif

I'm working on parking permits but I don't see it being a problem on the
weekend.

~~~~~~~
Accommodations
~~~~~~~

I have one fold out couch, and a set to bunk beds so if you need a room I
can offer what I have,
but it will be on a first come - first serve basis. I also have space for
about two more if you want
to bring your own sleeping bag but, it will get a little crowded. (Or it
might not depending on
when my house is finished.)

Here is a list of the Hotels/Motels closest to the event.

http://sanantonio.citysearch.com/search/
anysearch?type=grid&cslink=cs_profile_nearby_hotels&context=hotels_visitors&flavor_id=9&mile
s=5

Fiesta Texas is right across the street from UTSA. So, I used that as a
point of reference.

Anything near UTSA Blvd. and 1604 is good. La Cantera is a 4 star place so
you might want to
stay away from that area unless your looking for lush surroundings.

~~~~~~~
Misc.
~~~~~~~

My Ultimate Track Kit came in today. So I have a little more track this
time. I'm not sure if it will
be enough but, we can always make do. So if you don't want to bring your
track and just use
mine that fine. This will give you more space to bring something else. ;-)

Plan on also having a little Soccer tournament. Winner takes home a Soccer set!

I'm going to try and finish the jousting run by then so I can get your input
on possible
improvements.

TTFN,
Chris